April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

March 2019 - Classic Cover - WIPs

11 Mar 2019 03:34 #24091 by aonodori
Sooo.. I’ve recently fixed my tablet and I drew one picture (the first in over a year) and I thought I should do some challenges to get back into it so naturally I came back here.. it turns out I don’t really know any science fiction novels, even after googling the top 50! I haven’t read any, being more of a fantasy or literature reader, but I like the drawings I’ve seen so far... I just don’t know who they are! I’m glad these challenges are still going too

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2019 07:02 #24092 by Charlotte
Welcome back aonodori :)
I'm in the same boat. I've seen some movies based on listed "sci-fi classics", but I've hardly read any. I saw Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde listed in one place but I don't really think of that as sci-fi... (not that I can find time to paint anything much anyway!)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

11 Mar 2019 15:43 #24095 by Banj
I'm pretty certain that many people that illustrate book covers have never read any of the books they created the covers for.

11 Mar 2019 17:07 #24098 by Charlotte
Yeah, well, I'm still busy trying to get somewhere in The Witcher.... :dry:

11 Mar 2019 17:20 #24100 by Banj

11 Mar 2019 20:04 #24104 by Valence

Yeah, well, I'm still busy trying to get somewhere in The Witcher.... :dry:

The books or the games? :P

11 Mar 2019 21:46 #24106 by Charlotte
there are books? :blink:

11 Mar 2019 21:56 #24107 by Valence
Apparently.
And they're easier than games too, you can just turn the page without having to phone the Hint-Tron! :lol:

11 Mar 2019 23:14 - 11 Mar 2019 23:21 #24109 by Atto
@ Hansnomad. That is a truly great portrait of Rachel. The eyes definitely bring up that question about whether she’s a replicant or not if you know the book/movie.
As far as that question goes regarding Jekyll and Hyde I think you could easily count that as sci fi. And it’s definitely a classic! What about Frankenstein -horror/sci fi. I still think 2001 could be a good one even if you haven’t read the book (the movie was a classic). And classics in my mind don’t have to be old and books don’t have to be novels. What about a new cover for Ghost in the Shell? The Matrix? How about some TV shows? Zombie movies and shows normally have a sci fi element that you could use or some of Stephen Kings work (The Running Man, Langoliers). There’s a chance to push the envelope quite a bit I think.

EDIT Ok so I just rechecked the brief and obviously it does say novel. D’oh! There’s still some work arounds imho that could work though.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

16 Mar 2019 05:07 #24135 by hansnomad
Latest update with city and rain, this time. Of course there has to be rain. There's always rain. Now to figure out the text.

Attachments: