April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

March 2019 - Classic Cover - WIPs

01 Mar 2019 18:15 #23979 by Banj
Classic Cover

Brief: Create a cover illustration for a classic Science Fiction novel of your choice (text not required unless you want it).

Deadline: Midnight on Sunday the 31st of March.

This is where you post your works in progress, final entries should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-cover-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2019 18:46 #23981 by Charlotte

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

01 Mar 2019 19:43 #23983 by Atto
:rock: Noice!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Mar 2019 05:19 #23993 by hansnomad
I'm calling "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep." I love Phillip K. Dick and I'm definitely going with the Bladerunner vibe (even though the movie is different than the book). Love them both.

02 Mar 2019 10:37 #23994 by Charlotte
Cool! Nice to see you back hansnomad!

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

02 Mar 2019 15:26 #23996 by Atto
Good choice Hansnomad! If we’re calling then I’m going with either Dune or God Emporor of Dune.

04 Mar 2019 15:30 #24020 by hansnomad
Thanks, Charlotte. Sometimes when I need to shake off the cobwebs, I pop back in here and see what's cooking for the month. Been going through a dry creative patch lately where I'm bored of all my ideas and everything feels generic. I need a kick in the ass--so here I am.

Atto: Dune is another classic that can't go wrong. Look forward to seeing you give it a go.

I decided I want to design this cover with a bit of late 1960's/early 1970's graphic design paperback vibe in mind. I also want to use imagery from the Ridley Scott movie , but change it up a bit and get away from the crowded neon city with giant digital billboards and oriental signs which were a staple in the movie (but not the book which came out in the late 1960's, I think).

I want to use Harrison Ford's likeness, but not like in the movie, but an older, more world-weary version, more like he looked in the most recent Star Wars movie he just did (which is more of what I picture the character in the book to look like). I also want to use Rachael (Sean Young) also since her retro look in the movie will fit in to the look I want.

I want to show the city as a backdrop without the neon, but a more slapped together place (in the book, most of earth was abandoned in favor of Mars and other off-world colonies due to the radiation from war), so the cities did not look all neon and polish like in the movie, but in my mind, more like slums.

Deckard will be holding a gun on the cover (since pulp covers from the 1960's did that a lot), but it will not be the high tech gun from the movie, but a more traditional weapon that looks retro-futuristic.

I have sketched out the design (at least what I like right now) and will post it as soon as I scan it in (I scribbled it on paper--went retro myself).

06 Mar 2019 02:29 - 06 Mar 2019 02:32 #24043 by Atto
That all sounds very cool and much more appropriate to the original book (which is far superior to the movie imho). ‘Androids’ was originally published in the late 60s as a series of novellas in a pulp collection of new talent as far as I can remember.
My copy has the original movie poster on the cover which I believe was drawn by the great Drew Struzan (weird how I’ve never actually checked that).
I like the idea of a bedraggled older Ford as well. I mean in the book Deckard was more of an accountant than a police officer.
I’m afraid I’ve plumped for the easy option of portraying one of the versions of Muad’Dib from the screen.
But not Maclachclan. I’ve started mine as a portrait of Alec Newman as the Kwizats Haderach. I want to add in some Atreides insignias (the hawk) and some graphic effects to indicate the characters prescient powers but I find it difficult to do all that at one time. So I thought I’d start with the portrait and add all the devices in as I go.
Here’s where I’m at......

Attachments:

06 Mar 2019 12:53 - 06 Mar 2019 13:02 #24046 by hansnomad
Just decided to go ahead and post without the concept sketch. I'm pretty much sold on the idea so I'm just going with it. I started with the main character on the cover. There's a ton of reference for the outfits Deckard wore in the throughout the movie. Also a ton of reference photos of an older Harrison Ford. Don't know if it looks 100% like him, but it really doesn't matter.

All I did was paint the head (and a portion of the shirt) and the hands and gun. The overcoat was sketched in for form and then just filled in with solid black using the Photoshop fill tool (this will be used as a container for another image).

It's a transparent layer (and a bit messy in spots at the moment) it just shows up as white background when flat. I'll be adding the other elements of the cover on separate layers (so they are easier to edit as I go).

WIP01

Attachments:

06 Mar 2019 20:45 #24052 by Valence
Hansnomad: Wow, that's a lot of work there already. Very impressive. And great hands too!
The only thing that's stopping it looking like "Actor" Harrison Ford is the pale hair but if you're going more for a "character" likeness then none of that matters.

Atto: And that one's looking good too, all the planes of the face are well defined and the colour choices are working so far.
I quite liked Alec Newman in that TV version (and I remember a young James McAvoy in the sequel too.) It was a pretty good version considering the limits of the TV budget.
Are you looking forward to the new movies? They seem to be assembling quite an impressive cast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto