April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN April 2018 - April's Fool - WIPs

02 Apr 2018 10:54 #20721 by Charlotte
April's Fool - or rather, The Fool (Tarot)

Brief: Design a Tarot card featuring "The Fool". Here's a wikipedia entry that may help you and give ideas: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fool_(Tarot_card)

Deadline: April 30th at midnight GMT

This is where you post your works in progress. Finals should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...8-april-s-fool-final

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
All challenge entries must be your own work.
You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
Each member may cast one vote
No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2018 17:14 #20730 by Atto
Can't wait to see what Val does with this using only hands. Nice subject though and I've never attempted a tarot so count me in!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 Apr 2018 19:33 #20734 by Valence
Well, I'll certainly be using MY hands. :confident:
Does that count?

05 Apr 2018 23:26 #20748 by Atto
I'm not sure it does - we'd have to check with Banj or Charlotte.
Come to think of it that may be a good monthly topic:
Depict a alien or monster showing just their hands/feet/one eye/an arm etc.

08 Apr 2018 14:29 #20756 by Valence
Still nothing to post yet but I have been a-thinking.
The first thing that came to my mind was the GoT character Patchface and how disappointed I was when he didn't turn up in the TV show with his silly "Under the sea..." riddles, so I think I might try and have a go with that.
Then again, doing a red/green tattooed face seems a bit daunting so this idea may be changeable. :lol:
I shall try some experimental sketches tomorrow and see how bad it looks.

08 Apr 2018 16:02 #20758 by Charlotte
o.O I don't even remember Patchface!? How can I not remember a GoT character??? (I mean, there are only hundreds or so of them...) :eek:

08 Apr 2018 23:15 #20759 by Valence

How can I not remember a GoT character???

I know, I know, oh, oh, oh. :ohmy:

08 Apr 2018 23:38 #20760 by Atto
Well I've made a start.
I think I may be being a little risky with a character I doubt you'll know - not unless you've taken my advice and started on the Malazan Books of the Fallen. (If you have then spoiler warning!!)
So, heres Kruppe, the fool. He really isn't a fool. We meet him in Darujhistan (last of the free cities) and quickly discover that he is a major player in the black market of the city - his alternative persona is known as the Eel. In the later books it is also called into question whether he is an adept in the magic arts or even a mortal. He does however cultivate the impression of being a fool in order to throw others off his real motives and is described as unkempt, fat, short, with greasy curly hair and in many scenes is found eating and drinking very messily in the Phoenix Tavern.
So why all the spoilers? I'm intending to reflect his portrait on the lower half of the card (possibly in a pool of spilled wine) and alter his reflection slightly to hint at some of his alternative ambitions.
There is a form of Tarot in the books called the Deck of Dragons which are used by various characters as a tool for divination and though the 'fool' isn't part of the deck I thought it was a nice jumping off point.

Attachments:

09 Apr 2018 07:04 #20761 by Charlotte
oh now you reminded me of an old rpg character of mine. I was doing a play by email sort of story with a friend, where we had multiple characters each. I had a jester... can't remember much about him except he was grumpy and had a sort of love hate relationship with another employee (not that he'd consider it any kind of relationship at all... more like a nuisance that came with the job).

He might be a starting point, but I'd have to read up more on the fool tarot as well as look up my old notes if I can find them... Gosh, they're probably on a floppy disc... :blink:

11 Apr 2018 19:52 #20783 by Valence
I didn't bother with any drawing for this (not that I do much of a line drawing anyway) and instead just threw some colour around to experiment with facial expressions. I was trying to go for an awkward, nervous and maybe slightly scary smile. Still not sure about it but I made more progress than I thought I would...

Yes, he doesn't have any "patches" yet, I wanted to be sure of the face and expression first, I can always add the tattoos on another layer.
Also I'm not sure how to fit it into the tarot card format yet. :unsure:
Because of that, I may end up trying something else but I'll keep on with this for the time being.
Attachments: