April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2017 - Victorian Heroes - WIPs

16 Nov 2017 21:29 #19228 by Charlotte
Val, I think it's very recogniseably Xavier, but I think you should rework the proportions some... The head is too large as you've already said, but the shoulders, while not very large compared to the head seem rather large compared to the rest of the body. Hopefully a transform/scaling would work as a basis for continued painting? :)

I've started shading and lighting the character... It looks so-so at the moment and I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm doing but we'll see. Background (except for the black linework) is pretty much done I think...

oh and uh... I should probably attach the wip I'm talking of... :dry:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Nov 2017 00:05 #19229 by Valence
I love the cast shadow of the hand.
People (and when I say "people" I probably just mean "me") always forget to put them in when a subject casts a shadow on itself and when someone does remember and does it right then it makes such a difference to the picture.
Well done. :applaud: :)

I did have a quick test at rescaling/transforming earlier on my tablet and I think I can fix the necessary things. The legs looked better too when I nudged them to the right.
I'm always reluctant to test them out in ArtRage because all transforms end up blurring the details. ArtRage does not like pixel edges at all, does it? :lol:
But I shall do it properly tomorrow. :)

17 Nov 2017 09:45 - 17 Nov 2017 15:37 #19230 by Charlotte
I'm glad you think the cast shadow looks OK, since I didn't have any reference :P

Edit - more light and shade done, and I did a greyscale wip to see the values...
Apart from line colors and some reflection in her eyes, there's "theoretically" not more to do. Not more I planned, but I think it does need some more fiddling anyway...

Attachments:

17 Nov 2017 21:48 #19234 by Valence
Yep, still looking good, Charlotte. :) Can't see any problems with that.
Unlike mine... :lol:

As well as softening the shading on the face (I think I'm happy now with the likeness) I also did a bit of rescaling. The head may still be a bit large but I'm sure it'll get to the right size eventually. :P And I hadn't noticed that shoulder problem before. As well as being too big they were also mismatched at different levels! So I've done my best to correct that too and I also had a play with the ellipse guide stencil to get the smooth curves of the wheels but I may still fiddle that perspective a little more.

The next problem though is the hands, I can't put them off any longer. :lol: No doubt this will be the point where all progress will grind to a stop.
Attachments:

26 Nov 2017 19:39 #19306 by cgmythology
Looking good, everyone!

Charlotte: Coming along nicely, love the character design!

Valence: Great job capturing the likeness, although I agree with the feedback that the head is too big at the moment, giving a caricature-esque look.

OK I worked on the image some more, added a tree in the environment which I think adds to the composition. I'm calling it finished for now!

Attachments:

26 Nov 2017 23:59 #19309 by Valence

...the head is too big at the moment, giving a caricature-esque look.

Yes, it's a really hard habit to get out of. Even though I know I'm doing it I just can't stop myself. :)

I like all the additions to your pic, especially the way you've repeated the colour of that butterfly in the glowing lights. Looks good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

27 Nov 2017 08:31 - 27 Nov 2017 17:36 #19315 by Charlotte
gaaaaah *3 ½ days left* :argh:

EDIT: and I've entirely forgotten to work on this today. *too tired now - needs to put a post-it on forehead*

29 Nov 2017 08:06 #19368 by Charlotte
Val, you know there's still one more day (or one and a half even) to finish the challenge, right? (Just asking since you said you spent the last one on your final that you already submitted ;) )

CG, don't forget to add wip links ;)

29 Nov 2017 12:19 #19369 by Valence
Yes, when I said "last" day I meant the "previous" day.
I'm still not close to finishing those chair wheels and hands, so I thought I'd make the decision to go with that first one rather than trying to rush and mess up the second. :)

29 Nov 2017 12:20 #19370 by Charlotte
oooh now I get it (and yes I did get the part about it taking more than one or two days to finish prof. Xavier :) )