April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2017 - Victorian Heroes - WIPs

08 Nov 2017 18:11 #19125 by Digital Dave
Nice to see ya about, George. And the image is coming together nicely. - I immediately thought of Carrie Fisher when I saw your initial sketch, and then read it was supposed to be her, so it's definitely working.

Agree with Charlotte on the neck issue, and the sky looks great.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2017 22:15 #19156 by Valence
It's always great when Cgmythology pops in and nearly completes a picture between everyone else's wips. :lol: You're just too fast for us.
And I like what you're doing there. The face is lovely, both the likeness and that shading style. The medieval/Victorian thing doesn't bother me too much as quite a lot of Victorian paintings seemed to revolve around medieval stories and myths so you could frame it that way.

I think I've corrected all the proportions and perspective errors in mine. I now need to do the stained old photo look...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

11 Nov 2017 04:56 #19158 by cgmythology
LOL Thanks, I freelance full-time so I'm used to working at a fast pace. The medieval and victorian themes have similar attire when it comes to clothing, which is why I confused the two.

Great progress on your image, really enjoy the concept and rendering on the figure in particular. I do think the composition can be a bit improved by adding more space at the top, however. Looking forward to seeing this image progress further.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

11 Nov 2017 08:58 #19163 by cgmythology
Worked on the image some more, decided to add some leaves in the foreground to give it more depth as well as to highlight the Victorian theme a bit more. Also implemented the feedback on the crown. Pretty pleased with how it's turning out so far. Any feedback is encouraged as always.

Attachments:

11 Nov 2017 17:22 #19167 by Charlotte
CG it's coming along nicely - I really like the added foliage. I still think something about her neck looks off, and maybe that area between lip and nose (the rest of the face seems to be in "exact" profile, but not that...)

Val, also progressing but I agree with CG that it needs a bit of air at the top - and maybe less at the bottom unless you're planning for one of those commercial banners ("See IronMan live today at 2 pm!")

I've spent the day trying for some sort of background on mine. The first ended up making poor Buffy look like a giantess so I had to redraw it. It still needs light, texture and some color variation but sizewise it works better :P

(and I made some changes to Buffys face, legs and chest)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

11 Nov 2017 20:21 #19168 by Valence
Charlotte: Looks fantastic with a background in. Nice colour choices too, it all looks very harmonious and natural while still helping to keep your focus on the face and hair.

Cgmythology: Yours is looking damn good too. That warm distant glow of the sky is lovely. The only thing I can think of adding is some touches of reflected light in the darker areas of the face to keep the form going.

And thanks for the feedback on mine. I like to start on a square canvas and then crop/expand as I go along. (Yes, it's a stupid way to work but who cares about planning? :lol:) I experimented a bit the other day and the current (belated) "plan" is to crop off the bottom bit and add some sort of caption in an old fashioned font like a newspaper photo. I think that should work with the top of the pic as it is now but I'll see how it goes. :)

14 Nov 2017 14:36 #19195 by Valence
With my other pic nearly finished I thought I'd try out the second idea which fits a little better with the brief's photos.
I've been wanting to do a portrait of Patrick Stewart for some time, although I was slightly put off when em... did that really good one (always best to not embarrass yourself with unnecessary comparisons when someone posts quality pictures :)) but I think enough time has passed now to have a go. So I'm trying to do him as Professor X in a foppish Victorian suit and a rickety wooden wheelchair.
I'm not overly confident about deadlines for this so ... just for fun. :)

Yes, yes, the proportions are a bit wrong in a head-too-big way. One of these days I'll measure things out while sketching. But not this day!
Attachments:

14 Nov 2017 15:13 #19199 by Charlotte
Oh this seems an excellent and fun idea!

Plus you just reminded me of my dream last night... It was avery confused dream with some bad agents trying to kidnap a baby I think. Or a pet or a toy. Not entirely sure, but we were a group of people who tried to stump the pursuers and keep the baby whatever safe. And at some point em saved us all by doing a picture of the villain, dead (apparently that made him dead but nobody else had expected this to happen). I remember shouting (because em was elsewhere, like two stories up in the building or so) "em, you're my hero!" :D

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Nov 2017 20:56 #19222 by Valence
You have weird dreams, Charlotte. :lol:

Did a bit more of my Professor X today...

I think the shading could be a bit more subtle on the face. And I may have to nudge or redo the legs, it doesn't look quite right yet.
Attachments:

15 Nov 2017 23:54 #19223 by Digital Dave
Images are looking good folks. :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D