April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Nov 2017 - Victorian Heroes - WIPs

06 Nov 2017 19:43 #19092 by Charlotte
Thank you. I'll do a more close comparison with my refs and see what changes will be done. The legs one at least should be simple enough :) (I'll move the lower legs, though, not the torso... They did after all try for a very s shaped silhouette back then ;) )

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Nov 2017 21:27 #19093 by Valence
Still looking good with the addition of colour, Charlotte.

I kinda like her larger, Buffy-style of nose. It's a bit more unorthodox and gives her a bit of attitude. But it depends what kind of character you're going for. But I do agree that nudging those legs will do good things for the pic.

Feels a bit embarrassing posting my messy thing after that super-neat wip but here goes...

I started thinking about doing another idea that's a bit closer to pics mentioned in the brief but I'll continue with this one. If I can finish quickly then I might start on the other one too, but who am I kidding? Finish quickly?! As if.
Attachments:

07 Nov 2017 08:12 - 07 Nov 2017 09:19 #19095 by Charlotte
well considering it is Buffy I'm going for, I'm pretty sure she'll get to keep her nose. But I'll look at some ref pics and see if I made it too large or the chin too small. The eyes are definately on the large side but I like how they came out :P

And there's nothing wrong with your pic except maybe the front guy's legs are a bit on the short side... we all know you start messy and then go on to win another medal ;)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

07 Nov 2017 14:24 #19101 by Valence
I did recognise it as Buffy as soon as you'd put the smooth lines in. I just wasn't sure how far you wanted to push a more modern likeness.
That's something I'm not really bothering with in my pic. So instead of Tony Stark it might be one of his older, short-legged relatives. :) And his legs were even shorter in the previous version! I really should measure things out beforehand instead of throwing things down and chasing mistakes around the canvas. :)

07 Nov 2017 14:27 - 07 Nov 2017 21:44 #19102 by Charlotte
well Buffy is Buffy. It's kind of hard to paint her without doing a Sarah Michelle Gellar likeness. But I wasn't sure if she was recogniseable or not :)

and I think your idea works find. Tony Stark might live in the modern world, but Ironman might still have been created in victorian times :)

EDIT, I intended to be in bed by now but I got a little sidetracked and went looking for an image of SMG that was fairly similar to mine. Did a linedrawing of that at the same size and yes "my" nose is a bit too big, chin too small. But it doesn't seem the legs are that much off lengthwise (if anything they're a bit long - but those victorian children's skirts always made legs look very short). Her neck is a bit long too... so there are a few adjustments to make. That said I haven't made any of them yet :P

EDIT2 - also her bosom is a bit on the big side, not just for a child :P

Attachments:

08 Nov 2017 06:40 - 08 Nov 2017 06:45 #19113 by cgmythology
I absolutely love this theme, in pretty much combines two of my favorite themes into one, so I'm very excited to contribute to this challenge! I chose to illustrate Princess Leia in a medieval theme for this one. I spent as much time on the line work as I could, as this helps me to paint a bit faster during the painting process. I have to say I'm quite pleased with the line work, and am very excited to begin painting it shortly!

Attachments:

08 Nov 2017 08:21 #19115 by cgmythology
Been painting non stop since the last update, very pleased with how it's turning out although I feel the image is a bit too dark... We'll see how it progresses I guess. Any feedback appreciated as always :)
Attachments:

08 Nov 2017 16:02 #19120 by cgmythology
I continued working on the image, decided to change the background for something a bit more colorful. Still has a way to go, but I think it's coming together:

Attachments:

08 Nov 2017 16:42 #19121 by Charlotte
Nice work as always CG but the way she holds her head feels a bit unnatural - and if the little golden thingies in her crown are supposed to be dangly thyey should be vertical in spite of the crown's angle.

Also, the middle ages was rather som time before the victorian era :s

The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

08 Nov 2017 16:49 #19122 by cgmythology
Great feedback, I'll try to fix those problems by the next update, thank you!!