April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

Sept 2017 - Back to the Drawing Board - WIPs

01 Sep 2017 17:32 - 01 Sep 2017 17:33 #17917 by Banj
Back to the Drawing Board

Brief: This months challenge comes from a suggestion by octoberstormxx posted in the challenge suggestions thread: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...iefs?start=130#17147 Hit rewind and redo (not rework, so start from scratch) an old drawing. When finished, post them side by side. See how your art has developed and changed over time!

Deadline: September 30th at midnight GMT

This is where you post your work In progress. Final entries should be posted in the thread over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-board-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
challenge rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Sep 2017 21:21 - 06 Sep 2017 19:06 #17988 by segujo

Hi Guys!
Long time no drawing... :P
I liked this topic though and I'll see if I will finish something.

The original pic is the first thing I ever entered to a competition. It really opened my Eyes on what it takes to finish a piece and, though it is hard work and lots of struggle, it is not impossible.

hehe... and the posting has changed since last time I was here... hope it works... :P
Attachments:

05 Sep 2017 22:17 - 05 Sep 2017 22:19 #17989 by Valence
You just need to click "Insert" to make the pic show in the post. But it's OK, we can still see it by clicking the attachment. :)

And both versions look pretty cool. I'd be happy with that old one. Lovely vibrant colours, but the pose looks much more natural in the sketch. How long ago was the first one done?

06 Sep 2017 19:08 #18016 by segujo
thanks!! :)

something like 10 years ago... :P

07 Sep 2017 13:08 #18019 by Banj
I think actually your original pose was more dynamic and purposeful. The new one seems more casual and relaxed.

07 Sep 2017 14:03 #18023 by kazky

I think actually your original pose was more dynamic and purposeful. The new one seems more casual and relaxed.

I do agree with this, in the first sketch, it's like she's surveying who she's invading next, in the second its as if she's posing for the next catalogue shot. I actually prefer the first pose too, not that I dislike the other, it just has lost a bit of 'story'

07 Sep 2017 15:20 #18026 by Valence
The reason I prefer the sketched pose is that it looks like a real person in a real 3D space. The other one looks more stylized and a bit flatter. I think that's partially exaggerated by the feet being cut off the bottom.

I liked to crop off hands and feet 10 years ago ... and I still do now! :lol:
That's progress for you.

07 Sep 2017 17:32 #18047 by Banj

I liked to crop off hands and feet 10 years ago ... and I still do now! :lol:

:eek: You monster!

09 Sep 2017 05:56 #18105 by phoenixdee
I thought I would try this challenge, of a piece i did years and years ago, thought I would try it again from scratch

This is the first Wip
Attachments:

10 Sep 2017 15:11 #18117 by Valence
Even though it's just a few sketchy lines I already like the way the hair looks. Hope you can keep that going as it develops. :)