April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Aug. 17 - Uncaricature WIPs

08 Aug 2017 21:55 #17469 by Valence

I would start by looking at photos of real people...

Yes, I think that's exactly where I went wrong and wasted a couple of hours. :lol:
In those brief moments that the picture didn't look too ropey it did remind me of British politician Vince Cable, so I think that's a good place to start next time. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Aug 2017 09:32 #17473 by Banj

In those brief moments that the picture didn't look too ropey it did remind me of British politician Vince Cable, so I think that's a good place to start next time. :)

Maybe actor Ken Campbell. Vince Cable always reminds me of him (and vice versa), and he also looks a bit like Burns.

09 Aug 2017 09:45 #17475 by Charlotte
I googled Mr Burns lookalike - while most results were not relevant at all, there was one... but that's kind of a kill joy. I think I recommend you NOT to do that :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

09 Aug 2017 21:00 #17514 by Valence
Still looks cartoony.

I think I might resize some of the features next time (enlarging the eyes, and the body is a bit too small at the moment) and maybe it's a bit too dark under the brow. If all that doesn't improve it then I'll start again from scratch.
Attachments:

09 Aug 2017 22:55 #17520 by Digital Dave
Nice start, looking good.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

10 Aug 2017 11:17 #17530 by Charlotte
He looks sinister.

I think the neck and body being so much smaller is what makes him look cartoony still, not the face.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

11 Aug 2017 23:24 #17577 by Valence
A little bit more.
Not much, mind you, I just had a quick 20mins resizing stuff after wasting my time failing (again!) with some Blender stuff.
I think it does look a bit better now...

...and the darker body helps too. I know the neck is still a bit scrawny but I like that kind of "vulture" look with the hunched shoulders, hopefully it'll be more convincing with more accurate rendering. I've also been thinking about extending the mouth to give it that recognisable, wide Simpsons overbite but it's hard to consolidate that with the structure of a more realistic face. :shrug:
Attachments:

11 Aug 2017 23:40 #17580 by kazky
God I love this Val!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Valence

13 Aug 2017 21:55 - 13 Aug 2017 22:02 #17612 by Mr. Sabrosito

A little bit more.
Not much, mind you, I just had a quick 20mins resizing stuff after wasting my time failing (again!) with some Blender stuff.
I think it does look a bit better now...

...and the darker body helps too. I know the neck is still a bit scrawny but I like that kind of "vulture" look with the hunched shoulders, hopefully it'll be more convincing with more accurate rendering. I've also been thinking about extending the mouth to give it that recognisable, wide Simpsons overbite but it's hard to consolidate that with the structure of a more realistic face. :shrug:

hahahaha, this made me giggle, maybe you should put smithers behind giving him a shoulder massage and you are golden with this contest.

this is going to be fun, i will check and maybe come with something

23 Aug 2017 20:00 #17771 by Charlotte
Just over a week left :) don't forget to join in!

(I might too, if I could only decide on a character... :unsure:)