April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN June 2017 - Navigator - WIPs

13 Jun 2017 08:00 #16479 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jun 2017 13:05 #16480 by Valence
Dragon: Nice pose you've got there, reaching out into the distance. Looking forward to seeing the next step.

Atto: Another good sketch. You can really feel the anguish and tension of those lines.

I had a bit of a scribble last night...
After obscure 80s movies, the next thing that this title made me think of was those two, old Vermeer paintings; "The Geographer" and "The Astronomer", both of which feature the same bloke leaning over star charts and maps while being lit from that familiar window on the left.
So I thought I might do something like that but with a steampunk twist in the cockpit of an airship...

I did develop the figure a bit more in a 3rd wip but didn't like it so I've backtracked to here. And if it doesn't work again I may ditch it and switch to another idea.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

13 Jun 2017 14:51 #16482 by Charlotte
oh it would be lovely if you could get that vermeer feel to the background :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Jun 2017 16:21 #16483 by Dragon6261
Attachments:

14 Jun 2017 00:08 - 14 Jun 2017 00:13 #16484 by Atto
A lovely sense of light coming through that navigators window already in yours Val. Loving the suggestion of all the dials and equipment in the BG too.

Welcome (back?) Dragon. Some nice skin tones there and I do like the way you've painted her hair in. The thumb is a little short on that raised hand at the moment. I think if it seperated from the hand a little and some of those back fingers were a little more bent it would look a more natural.

Wip 2: Trying to keep some of that tension in from the original sketch and I'm using a Guy Denning ref for the colours. Need to start adding some costume and paraphenalia in too before I get too precious about it. My idea is to block out her face with some kind of 'projection' detailng the voyage ahead, some kind of mentally conjured chart of planets. I've tried to add it in a few times so far but I can't seem create any effect that I'm happy with - need to sleep on it.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

16 Jun 2017 10:07 #16510 by Banj
This is unlikely to be finished in time but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Don't worry, he's completely armless at the moment... :facepalm:
Attachments:

16 Jun 2017 11:46 - 16 Jun 2017 11:47 #16511 by Charlotte
:blink:
Dune meets Donald Trump...

EDIT: I think I finally got what MDT stands for :cheer: Always wondered about that BanjaxedMDT thing... Of course I still don't actually know what the D stands for, but... it makes at least a little more sense now...

16 Jun 2017 12:56 #16512 by Banj

:blink:
Dune meets Donald Trump...

Duneald Trump!? :X

16 Jun 2017 14:06 #16513 by Charlotte
Give it some hair (preferably combed up all the way from the neck and then folded back at the front...) and it will be. I can't promise it will still be a navigator, though.

16 Jun 2017 14:41 #16514 by Banj
Now armed and dangerous.

Attachments: