March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN May 2017 - The First Vampire - WIPs

01 May 2017 19:53 - 01 May 2017 19:54 #15990 by Charlotte
The First Vampire

Brief: I hope a vampire will be to everyone's taste... (or is that a distasteful joke?) Who was the first vampire? Count Dracula, Vlad Tepes, Lilith? Did they become a vampire through black magic, evolution or a curse? Try to depict the first of their kind!

Deadline: Wednesday the 31st of May at Midnight GMT.

This is where you post your Works In Progress; final entries should be posted over here:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...17-the-first-vampire

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 May 2017 21:18 #15995 by Atto
I have absolutely no issue with this challenge echoing the previous one - as you posted in the shout box Charlotte. It's healthy in my opinion to exercise (exorcise?) the darker part of my self. In fact I may even create a counterpart to my previous entry. Bring on the blood :evil:

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

02 May 2017 13:08 #15999 by Banj

(or is that a distasteful joke?)

I'm really not sure to tell the tooth. I would say it isn't but that could be a mis-stake. :pinch:

05 May 2017 10:17 #16104 by Atto
Initial sketch for this one.
It'll probably change substantially from this, I'm already thinking I would like a more organic setting as opposed to the gothic stone that I originally had in mind. Something moist, fleshy, pink with veins, arteries and ribs showing through translucent flesh - something that doesn't suggest a historical period setting. We'll see.
And 'LOOK MOM NO HANDS!'

Something along these lines by the great Mr H R Giger:

Attachments:

05 May 2017 11:13 #16107 by Charlotte
eeew that looks like the inside of something... I think I prefer your sketch to Giger's work so far. But I'm curious to see what you'll come up with :)

05 May 2017 15:35 #16115 by microscopi
There's a lot of directions you could take with this month's challenge, I don't think it resembles last months either.

I keep thinking about a shadow following me down a creepy laneway in Europe. :ohmy: I read a lot of Ann Rice books, so much material to draw from those, also there pretty good, especially the one where Lestat goes to hell then heaven and debates with god and the devil. :evil:

06 May 2017 23:56 - 07 May 2017 22:29 #16137 by Atto
Not really sure where this one is going. I may have to do a Micro on y'all and start again.

Attachments:

07 May 2017 23:59 #16158 by Atto
Todays Vampire sketch. :dry:

Attachments:

08 May 2017 06:56 #16160 by Charlotte
One thought I'm having (which you can ignore completely if you want) is that that gargoyle of yours implies that there already is some form of vampire culture/worship. Of course it can be a demon that turns a human into a vampire or "middle-being" or some such... But just thought I'd point it out...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

08 May 2017 18:43 #16180 by Atto
I had the same thought Charlotte. The thing I'm struggling with is if there is no precursor to my vampire it really limits the possibilities to create some weird and wonderful environment.
I'm currently thinking that it would be some kind of Eve type situation where a god, daemon or alien has lured a human into living on the blood of others so vampire is the name given to the first human manifestation of this 'middle being'.
Everything I know about vampire suggests the original was a man (except for Lillith- which I know very little about) so thought the whole temptation of man by woman, pandoras box etc was a nice twist.
Thanks for the feedback though - appreciate it! :)