April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN April 2017 - Warlock - WIPs

02 Apr 2017 10:51 - 02 Apr 2017 10:51 #15674 by Banj
Warlock

Brief: Interpret the title as you wish. A character design, a scene of magical mayhem... or something else?

Deadline: Sunday the 30th of April at Midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs. Final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...arlock-final-entries

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2017 14:33 #15679 by Valence
That word always makes me think of The Warlock Of Firetop Mountain even though I never had that book. Although I'm sure there's still a dusty paperback of Deathtrap Dungeon somewhere in the house.

I did love the illustrations in those books. I think they were my first experience of fantasy art and it's forever stuck in my brain. :)

03 Apr 2017 11:50 #15689 by Banj
Same here actually. I had (and still have) The Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I also had the Spectrum computer game which I think came bundled with the book. It was a pretty tough game (the spectrum one not the book).

03 Apr 2017 12:16 #15690 by Atto
The Warlock of Firetop Mountain was also my first foray into the realm of fantasy. You guys must be as old as me!
I don't remember the illustrations too well but the cover sticks in my mind. I had the computer game too for the spectrum (oh those loading screens and the associated clicks whirrs and buzzes of my childhood!). Don't think I ever completed it but I did get about 80% of the way through The Hobbit game.

>Go East
>You cant go East
>Go West
>You cant go West
>Go North
>You cant go North
>Go South
>You cant go South
>Look
>You look around and see a path leading to the East
>Go East
>You can't go East
>Oh, you stupid computer
>Unknown Command.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

03 Apr 2017 12:23 #15691 by Banj

Don't think I ever completed it but I did get about 80% of the way through The Hobbit game.

>Go East
>You cant go East
>Go West
>You cant go West
>Go North
>You cant go North
>Go South
>You cant go South
>Look
>You look around and see a path leading to the East
>Go East
>You can't go East
>Oh, you stupid computer
>Unknown Command.

I mentioned similar experiences of The Hobbit text adventure in another thread somewhere :)

You are in a dark cell. You see a window in the north wall. Thorin sits nearby.
Say to Thorin pick me up
There is no Thorin here

:rage:

03 Apr 2017 12:24 #15692 by Charlotte
:lol:
our family "came into computers" rather late but that row of commands still ring a bell

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

03 Apr 2017 22:09 - 03 Apr 2017 22:12 #15697 by Atto
Initial sketch: more of an anatomy study - I want my warlocks body to be twisted and misshapen by the power coursing through it so I'll be adding strange nodules, extra bony 'limbs' and growths to it later.

Ive been longing to use the three refs I've cobbled together for ages so I really want to do them justice - hence the early start. Oh, and I want to provide more of a background to this one too!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

04 Apr 2017 20:33 #15699 by Valence
Interesting start there, Atto. :)
I do like the way you sketch out hands. You get some lovely shapes very quickly. Meanwhile I'm still continuing my plan to avoid hands completely wherever possible. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

04 Apr 2017 21:15 #15700 by oaktree
Good start Atto powerful looking stance great shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

10 Apr 2017 19:41 #15725 by Valence
Here's a quick scribble of a weirdy, beardy warlock who seems to be guarding a big skull door ... or something. :shrug: And he's using a bit of magic to levitate in an unoriginal Iron Man way. :P

The perspective is somewhat questionable. As is the anatomy. And the colour scheme.
So many questions and so few answers. :lol:
Attachments: