March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN April 2017 - Warlock - WIPs

24 Apr 2017 21:04 #15942 by Atto
I'm back after a few days away on business but I'm off again early Wednesday till after the deadline so I'll have to make this short (and hopefully sweet) as I've about 12 hours to finish my entry.

Charco - Welcome back and what a return. Loving your take on this. The rim light looks superb - especially that cool green glow to his raised arm. Lovely colour choices here. If i get time I may look into changing that bird as you suggest.

Oak - Wow man! Thats really come on. Pushing those values really gives a sense of intimacy to your entry. I can imagine this Warlock pouring over his books for days on end by the glow of candle light. I also really like the way your birds are now partially obscured by shadow.

Mr S. Awesome stuff. I love everything about this right now except one minor detail - it appears your warlock has a rather vacant expression right now. I'd love to see some real anger or perhaps sadistic glee from him. Fantastic composition.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Apr 2017 22:20 #15943 by oaktree
Thank you all for the great feedback. Charco love the way the eyes are coming along on the demon and the life and movement in the image is just great.
Here is an update from me.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: charco

25 Apr 2017 19:34 #15947 by charco
Yeah, my eyes have stopped working a little early today XD
Worked into the demon, and focused on matching the values to how I had it set up in my greyscale pass.
Still needs a polish pass, but UNTIL I ZOOM IN I'm happy with it so far :D

Looking good oaktree! Those fingernails are a great touch, and those glyphs are glowing nicely without taking too much of the interest.

Valence, yeah it's meant to be, anyway. Up there with 'don't use black' in that it's a rule that doesn't really apply a lot of the time!
Attachments:

25 Apr 2017 23:53 #15949 by Mr. Sabrosito

Thank you all for the great feedback. Charco love the way the eyes are coming along on the demon and the life and movement in the image is just great.
Here is an update from me.

man you need to make shoulders a little bit more evident in your guy

Attachments:

26 Apr 2017 00:01 #15950 by Mr. Sabrosito
ill have to study some english tonight.... so this is progress up to last night . A lot of stuff in here stills rough .

Attachments:

26 Apr 2017 19:36 #15955 by charco
Been trying to get the hang of the smudge tool since I saw Simon Rodgers do a great demo on it last week, with mixed success!

Think I'm about done on this, unless something looks off to someone?

THIS HAS BEEN FUN, although I've kinda let the gym slip as a result XD

Attachments:

26 Apr 2017 19:39 #15956 by charco
Wow, Mr S, that looks gorgeous! Think you could do with blurring the edges on your planets, but other than that you're rocking some serious postapocalyptic realness :)

26 Apr 2017 22:34 #15957 by Valence
That looks amazing, Charco. The lighting is really well controlled on the main character. I also like the out of focus foreground figures, it adds that extra depth to the pic. Although the one on the right still has a sharp, high-contrast shoulder. A little bit more blurring or some light bleeding across the edge would finish it off nicely.

Mr S: You've made some super quick progress there. Loving all that detail and looking forward to seeing the final.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charco

30 Apr 2017 17:56 #15973 by oaktree
Mr S Thanks for the colour over it was most welcome and kind of you to take the trouble.
I fully agree that the shoulders where not strong enough and have made changes in the final post. Your colour over made him look to strong though as I was trying for a slope shouldered older character.