April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN March 2017 - Sun Wukong - WIPs

19 Mar 2017 14:30 #15569 by Charlotte
awwww what a cute lil monkey

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2017 22:07 #15570 by oaktree
developed it a bit more
Attachments:

20 Mar 2017 14:10 #15571 by Atto

Valence wrote:

Atto: I've been studying the complex, unusual angles in your pic and I think (and I'm not sure about this so I stress "think") you might need to flip and rotate the ref for that hand/foot. Should it be a rightie or a leftie? Are feet the other way round? Am I confusing myself?
Hm, I'm sure the answer to that last one is a resounding YES! :lol:

Banj wrote:

You mean his foot is currently holding the staff by curling his toes upwards instead of downwards as they should be. The position of the foot in relation to the leg also looks a little awkward right now.

Thanks both. I spent an hour looking at refs for this 'foot' and I agree it seems I still have it wrong. If you rotate the hand holding the staff around the wrist I believe it will exactly match his other foot so it's in correct. I 'think' the issue is his calf muscle is reminiscent of a lower arm muscle (don't ask me its name!) but the rotation of his leg is really confusing me right now.
If anyone would like to do a sketch over to help me please feel free! :S
I'll have another look later today if I get time after updating my wifes website.
Thanks again guys!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

20 Mar 2017 14:52 #15572 by Valence
Atto: I'm cetrainly no expert on monkey anatomy either :) (I'm having enough trouble with the foot in my pic. So much so that he may end up wearing shoes!) So rather than anatomy and muscles the thing that caught my eye was chirality (and I'm sure there's a better word for it than that but I can't think of it at the moment)
The hand in the phot ref is definitely a right one but the foot/hand in the painting is a leftie so the thumb/toe should be the opposite side (downwards in that current grip). Whichever way you change it it will need a flip relative to the fingers rather than just a rotation.

Man, this is hard to get my head around, it's like those spatial orientation Mensa puzzles, and I feel like I'm being haunted by memories of old physics lessons with Fleming's left/right hand rule. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

20 Mar 2017 16:38 - 20 Mar 2017 16:47 #15574 by Banj
I think part of the problem is that your reference for the hand/finger position doesn't translate to the position of the staff and leg in your painting. As I see it the staff would need to be running across from left to right instead of back to front. With the staff angled as it is it would be easier to hold it as if either shaking hands or holding a pen*.

* I said holding a pen which is what I intended to draw, but didn't because apparently I have never held a pen in my life as you obviously don't hold pens anything like that - at least not for it's intended purpose. So imagine I said pencil and pretend I meant how a "proper" artist is meant to hold a pencil, not a hack like me that just holds a pencil like a pen. Yeah, that should do it. :whistle:
Attachments:

20 Mar 2017 19:26 #15576 by Charlotte
*gives it a try too*

Attachments:

20 Mar 2017 21:03 #15577 by Valence
I hold a pen like a pen.
I hold a pencil like a pen.
And ... I even hold a brush like a pen. :blush:
Does that make me a bad person? :lol:

Those are excellent paintovers and I think any one of them could work as a solution. Well Done, all. :)

Meanwhile I've been trying to fix my own effort...

I've tried to suggest some movement with the flowing fabric, adding some light rays and altering the shape of the cloud. It's a bit better but I could still shift it off centre later. Still need to work out the details of the outfit. And the foot. *sigh*
Attachments:

20 Mar 2017 22:29 - 20 Mar 2017 22:30 #15578 by Atto
Thanks all so very much - thats really helped.
Charlotte - thanks for giving it a go without moving the leg - but I like to see fingers in my drawings - they can add such character to a errrrrr... character. :?
Banj - I like the second of your sketch overs best - I think in the first the new angle of the leg is too similar to the angle of his arm. To me the second is the stronger pose with the contrasting angles.
Thanks again people - you're all lovely human beings and this is why I love this site!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

21 Mar 2017 11:47 #15581 by Banj

I hold a pen like a pen.
I hold a pencil like a pen.
And ... I even hold a brush like a pen. :blush:
Does that make me a bad person? :lol:

I think it makes you "normal".

I just use a crayon, a red one. Red like blood. I grasp it tightly in my clenched fist and stab it at the paper over and over screaming "why? WHY?" until the owners of the cafe threaten to call the police. Maybe I should just learn to use a pencil properly :unsure: :dry:

21 Mar 2017 12:45 #15582 by Charlotte

I just use a crayon, a red one. Red like blood. I grasp it tightly in my clenched fist and stab it at the paper over and over screaming "why? WHY?"

:blink: :S