April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN March 2017 - Sun Wukong - WIPs

13 Mar 2017 21:50 #15528 by Atto
:cheer: I was thinking more along the lines of "Who stole my breast milk?"

As you say Val the landscape looks fantastic - a lovely mix of suggested rock formation and more detailed greenery.

I feel your pain with the clothing - I have no idea how to clothe mine but as I'm not really happy with the pose and definitely the position of his staff on mine I have a ways to go before I have to worry about it too much. And monkey feet? Thought I'd be clever and try to have mine holding his staff in his 'feet' - I like the idea but the execution right now leaves a lot to be desired.

Still Wip 1

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2017 22:23 - 13 Mar 2017 22:24 #15529 by Charlotte
Valence, look up karst landscapes - might help some with getting the landscape to fit the monkey :) I think the added landscape works well, but maybe the image would be less static if Mr Monkey King wasn't smack in the middle?

Atto, yours make me think of the quaddies of McMaster Bujold (four-armed people genetically engineered to work in space, Vorkosigan Universe) :silly:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

13 Mar 2017 23:08 #15531 by oaktree
been playing with it tonight
Attachments:

14 Mar 2017 00:17 #15532 by Atto
Good stuff Oaktree, liking the start on the background and the movement in his clothing. I do seem to remember that he had his fingers together as he called his cloud though but maybe thats my failing memory.

Its interesting to see what type of monkeys we're all going for (by that I mean the species). Personally I'm opting for a white fronted Capuchin Monkey so I can use his fur as the main source of gold in the image. But now I need to rethink the BG.

Basic colours down - now the fun bit begins.

Oh and theres my ref for his foot.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

15 Mar 2017 03:04 - 15 Mar 2017 03:06 #15544 by microscopi
Some great designs coming out this month, looking forward to seeing yours develop Yian. B)

Oak so glad to see you in the challenge, keep at it, I like the character so far, having him above the clouds is a nice touch, can't wait to see it develop. If you get stuck along the way, you could try some rough small thumbnails, then pick the best one and go high res, keep it going ! :woohoo:

Atto, really digging the design you went with, lots of movement with that pose, very nice, and hard to pull off. I researched a bunch of videos on youtube and there's a lot of variance in that guy, sometimes he's a little monkey, other times he looks like a guy that took too much rogaine. :lol: The pose looks good so far, so that parts done. :woohoo:

Val, that background is pretty cool, I must say. If you want to focus on the background, there's no rule stating how big your monkey has to be, I think if you put him in the background coming in on that cloud behind him to his right, you could make him with sunlight rays coming off his fur and it would really tie in with the background. You should do more environments, they always look great in your character pics. :woohoo:

I'm having a tough time right now. I can't really use my arm too much to draw, and i'm not sure about surveillance as i'm currently being investigated, so that's why I haven't been in any challenges for awhile.

Hope you guys can forgive me. :whistle:

15 Mar 2017 09:04 #15545 by Charlotte

I can't really use my arm too much to draw, and i'm not sure about surveillance as i'm currently being investigated, so that's why I haven't been in any challenges for awhile.

:blink: I hope* that's referring to a medical investigation?

*At least I think I hope so. Unless it's mean. But... criminal investigation might be worse, no? :unsure:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

15 Mar 2017 21:04 #15546 by Valence
Nice work, everyone.

Oaktree: I love the 3d perspective of the staff. It looks like it's coming out of the screen at me! And I'm not even wearing those red/green glasses. :lol:

Atto: That's a clever idea to have the foot holding the staff and that's a terrific snarl on the face. I can almost hear that high pitched screech that those animals do.

And thanks to all for the feedback. Mine does look a bit static. I'm hoping that the flowing robes might add a bit of movement when I get around to understanding the clothing. But that'll be after I understand the anatomy. :P At the moment I couldn't give a monkey's foot! :lol:
But at least I'm enjoying doing the landscape. It's quite relaxing using the palette knife to sculpt the rocks and mountains and then popping in some shrubbery with the Mossy sticker sets (it's the only time I ever use that ArtRage tool!)
Hopefully it'll look good enough for an update later this week.

And I hope your arm improves a bit, Micro. It's no fun not being able to do the things you want.

16 Mar 2017 19:06 #15555 by oaktree
Thanks for all the comments everyone. Made a little more progress. Alto I moved his fingers together from what I can make out it was two fingers together with the ring and little finger tucked against the palm. I've also made slight changes to the shape of the cape in the wind.
Attachments:

18 Mar 2017 19:45 - 18 Mar 2017 19:47 #15567 by Valence
Oaktree: I like the wide expansive landscape with the big sky. It feels like he's on top of the world. :)

Atto: I've been studying the complex, unusual angles in your pic and I think (and I'm not sure about this so I stress "think") you might need to flip and rotate the ref for that hand/foot. Should it be a rightie or a leftie? Are feet the other way round? Am I confusing myself?
Hm, I'm sure the answer to that last one is a resounding YES! :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

19 Mar 2017 12:07 #15568 by Banj

Atto: I've been studying the complex, unusual angles in your pic and I think (and I'm not sure about this so I stress "think") you might need to flip and rotate the ref for that hand/foot. Should it be a rightie or a leftie? Are feet the other way round? Am I confusing myself?
Hm, I'm sure the answer to that last one is a resounding YES! :lol:

You mean his foot is currently holding the staff by curling his toes upwards instead of downwards as they should be. The position of the foot in relation to the leg also looks a little awkward right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto