March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN March 2017 - Sun Wukong - WIPs

02 Mar 2017 13:18 #15390 by Banj
Sun Wukong - The Monkey King

Brief: Depict the mythical Monkey King Sun Wukong.

Deadline: Friday 31st of March at Midnight GMT.

This is where you post yourWIPs. Final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-final-entries#15389

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Mar 2017 22:30 - 05 Mar 2017 22:33 #15416 by Yian

Inspired by a highly controversial (and hugely disappointing for how stupid it looked) festival lantern design in Asia.

It is gonna look x100 better than its source material when I'm done with it.
Attachments:

05 Mar 2017 23:50 #15417 by Valence
You mean something can look 100 times better than that photo? :lol:

I can't wait for the updates for this one! :)

06 Mar 2017 00:27 #15424 by Yian
Hahaha thank you for the vote of confidence Valence! :D

09 Mar 2017 21:59 #15488 by Valence
I had a bit of a scribble today after finishing some other stuff...

I'm not overly excited by it at the moment. I'm not sure about that distant arm and and the angle of the staff so much may change if I continue with it.
Attachments:

12 Mar 2017 19:56 #15509 by oaktree
Hi folks if it's OK I will join in on this one. The only thing I know about the subject is what I remember from the TV shows of the late 70s. The main thing I remember is the cloud flying, his staff and the way he summoned the cloud. So that should be my approach to this.
Attachments:

12 Mar 2017 20:16 #15510 by Charlotte
'Course it's OK!
I remember an animated movie from when I was little - I suspect it was a Sun Wu Kung story... All I remember really was there was a peach involved. And plenty of cute little monkeys. I remember my sis and me playing monkeys after that - though most of the play consisted in telling each other what colour our fur was and how cute we were :P (I think were were about 7-8 years old)

I've also seen the one with Jet Lee as the monkey king, a couple of times (well, parts of it)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

12 Mar 2017 21:12 #15511 by Valence
Oaktree: You've pretty much summed up everything I know about the character too! (Although I do know he also featured in a ridiculous Indiana Jones story that thankfully never made it to the big screen.)
Even from the loose line sketch I can easily recognise that little gesture he did to call the cloud.
Now we just need someone to start singing "Monkey Magic!" :)

13 Mar 2017 01:20 - 13 Mar 2017 01:21 #15516 by Atto
I'm sorry but I had to.....

Caption it for me?

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

13 Mar 2017 21:43 #15527 by Valence
"Who stole my accordion? "

Anyway... this isn't going very well...

I don't know who had the bright idea of trying to do a close-up monkey foot but I'm sure it can't have been me. And I don't know what's happening with the clothing. :unsure:
So after getting frustrated with that I decided to extend the canvas and sketch up a landscape for him to swoop over on his cloud. And I actually quite like the landscape. Sure, it doesn't really fit with the rest of the pic but what does that matter? :P It makes me want to cut the monkey fellow out completely. :lol:
Attachments: