March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN August 2016 - It Came form Outer Space - Wips

15 Aug 2016 17:15 #14372 by Banj
Thanks Valence. I'm currently debating whether to go 3D or just paint it. I have started mocking up a rough 3D, but I might end up just using it as a reference depending on time.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Aug 2016 16:24 #14384 by microscopi
What 3D programs do you use Banj? maya and zbrush :?

Definitely go with 3D, that is looking awesome already, damn you for making it look so easy! :lol: You can always paint over the 3D or paint some hand made texture maps.

18 Aug 2016 09:20 #14387 by Banj
Thanks Microscopi. I think I mentioned it before in another challenge, I mostly use Modo and Zbrush. I used some presets (the lamp and the cans) but they aren't anything difficult to model.

I've started screwing around with my alien dude in Zbrush.

Attachments:

22 Aug 2016 16:40 #14402 by Banj
Another WIP with a bad displacement map :dry:

Attachments:

22 Aug 2016 17:59 #14404 by Charlotte
I keep thinking I should just steal an online pic of a chinese hairless dog - and maybe colour it blue or green - and see if anyone notices that I'm cheating.... but everytime I search for those dogs I end end up feeling slightly disgusted and quite sorry for them. Not all of them, but the ones that look truly ugly. Or like zombies. Poor things. So much for trying to be funny :P

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

23 Aug 2016 11:03 #14411 by Banj
I would notice. I notice everythi-- oh, what's that over there :brb:

24 Aug 2016 23:49 #14418 by Valence
I wouldn't notice a bad displacement map in a room full of good ones but I'm definitely liking the alien carrot look. :lol:

25 Aug 2016 07:46 #14419 by Charlotte
what Val said... I wonder if he'd be called an octarrot. Not that he has 8 arms/legs but... still...
I also wonder if he's a carnivore. I also think I think too much sometimes... :blink:

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

25 Aug 2016 09:53 #14421 by Banj
Thanks. Here's an update with a better displacement map and some other stuff. Need to work on some textures. Also need to see updates from everyone else, getting ronery so ronery and sadry arone.

Attachments:

25 Aug 2016 23:05 #14426 by Valence
Aww, don't be ronery, Banj. :)
Only reason I haven't updated is cos I finished ages ago.
It's amazing what progress you can make when you keep everything dark and don't bother with a background. :lol:

I may just recheck it with fresh eyes tomorrow to see if I can tweak anything before the final.

I still haven't noticed the different displacement map but I'm not entirely useless, I have spotted the addition of that cool lava lamp.
Watching 3d pictures develop like this is a bit like one of those change-blindness tests. :lol: Oh, the rug/mat is different too!