April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2016 - The Star Spangled B*stard - WIPs

06 Jul 2016 23:12 - 07 Jul 2016 14:21 #14078 by hansnomad
Quetzal: Love the overhead angle and the pose (and the gut sticking out). The captain has let himself go a bit.

Valence: That's quite impressive progress (and an excellent likeness). Using ArtRage I see (great program). Love the way the face is coming out!

Thanks for your comment, but I wish that was my first try at the sketch. What I put up was about 17 collapsed Photoshop sketch layers deep (and that damned right hand made me walk away from my Wacom twice!).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Jul 2016 19:05 #14082 by Quetzal
Thanks for the comments, I intend to clutter up the space around him with bombs and weapons, as well as chinese takeout, leftover pizza and a home sweet home embroidered frame...
I really like the captain brexit likeness, it is true I had no idea who he was until he withdrew his bid for Prime Minister, but the painting hits the fine line between portrait and caricature.

11 Jul 2016 20:09 #14099 by Valence
Hansnomad: Yes, I use ArtRage for pretty much everything now, unless I need more than 2 layers for something :) The combination of colour mixing and paper textures creates lots of happy accidents that make the early stages of a picture go fairly quickly.

Here's a bit more of Captain Brexit...
(I can't help but feel that my "topical" news theme is becoming increasingly obsolete with each new crazy twist to the story. I'm learning that the main rule of political caricatures seems to be to finish it quickly before it becomes irrelevant!)

I still think there's work to be done on the likeness (a change to the top lip might improve the expression) but I'm gonna work on some other areas next, especially the shield with all its terrifying stars and that awkward curved perspective. :unsure:
Attachments:

14 Jul 2016 07:48 - 14 Jul 2016 08:12 #14118 by Tyl
Quetzal: The angle and pose is just great, looking forward for the next wip.

Valence: Great caricature, nice work

I didn't have an idea straight away, so yesterday I started off smudging colors all over the canvas. And then suddenly Captain America's father shows up out of nowhere. I'm not familiar with the Captain America character Steve Rogers. This morning I googled for some info on his background. His father was an alcoholic who died when Steve was a child during the great depression. My sketch can pass for this character. On my canvas he is more than just an alcoholic. I think I will do an upside down American flag. It's an officially recognized signal of distress.
Need to look for reference for the old man ears.

WIP01-02 movie
Attachments:

14 Jul 2016 15:24 #14120 by Valence
Tyl: I really like the colours in that, really varied yet still muted and harmonious. And the way the figure is slowly emerging is really intriguing.

Just when I thought that a picture of Boris was going to be obsolete ... two days later he's back! Madness!
Anyway I've spent a bit more time on the face. After zooming in to work on individual features I tried to zoom out to work on the overall shape of the face: adding some shading to the eyes to push them back under that confused brow and then adding some layering to the skin with lighter, warmer tones using a soft brush to reduce those contrasty parts to give it a more fleshy feel while allowing a bit of that underlying work to show through.

I think the likeness is getting better. I'm happy with the eyes and mouth but the nose still need some reshaping. I also got a bit of the shield done but after failing with the European stars I'm going to make a 3D model to help get that curved perspective right.
Attachments:

14 Jul 2016 23:26 #14122 by SchizophreniaWolf
Attachments:

15 Jul 2016 00:03 #14123 by SchizophreniaWolf
Attachments:

15 Jul 2016 07:19 #14126 by Tyl
Attachments:

16 Jul 2016 13:13 #14130 by Valence
Schizo: That's super creepy and freakish. That mask looks like Darth Vader's skull from my nightmares! :lol:

Tyl: That texture work is looking really good. The whole image has a consistent painterly quality that's very appealing and gives the figure a solid and believable presence.

18 Jul 2016 20:23 #14163 by Valence
More...

Added some stars to the shield, I used the outline from my 3D model and then painted them in to try and keep the same style.
Also made a start on the background and began putting in some geographically inaccurate European landmark clichés while also showing a blatant disregard for the laws of perspective. :P
And trying to draw the Eiffel Tower is no fun at all!
Attachments: