April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2016 - The Star Spangled B*stard - WIPs

01 Jul 2016 09:18 - 01 Jul 2016 09:40 #14035 by Banj
The Star Spangled B*stard Cover

Brief: To celebrate our second anniversary this month your brief is a mashup of 2 suggestions by em... and HansNomad in the suggestions thread .

Create the cover art for (an imaginary) CG Art Nexus Magazine using the template provided. The cover should depict the Star Spangled B*stard, a Captain America style hero gone bad for the lead article of the mag.

Template download: cgartnexus.com/images/cgartnexus/tempfil...N_Cover_Template.psd

Deadline: Sunday 31st of July at midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs, Final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...angled-b-stard-final

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jul 2016 01:07 #14057 by Valence
I don't know much about Marvel comic book stories. Let me think... A Captain America style anti-hero?
Hmm...
If only there was some kind of recent news story that involved nationalism, an apparently popular figure turning bad, lies and corruption, a series of betrayals, and some kind of flag with stars on it...
Nope, can't think of anything.

Wait, what's that you say? Captain Brexit?
Surely that would never work. No-one would buy that magazine even if it was an anniversary issue! :nope:

03 Jul 2016 05:17 - 03 Jul 2016 05:19 #14058 by hansnomad
I'll give this one a go as I may not be on here for a while going forward (lots going on at work with a major reorganization). Don't know if I will have time to finish (and hopefully I can stay employed), but this one sounds like too much fun to pass up.

My concept is a character somewhere between The Punisher and The Comedian from the Watchmen. I figured why not take two of the most famous anti-heros as my inspiration. Got some quick sketches down trying to get a pose, but nothing I think is worth posting yet. I want to give him a pseudo superhero look, but keep him gritty.

I was thinking of a Captain Brexit, but he appears to be taken... :P

03 Jul 2016 11:31 #14059 by Valence

I was thinking of a Captain Brexit.

Feel free to go with it, I wasn't claiming it exclusively as my own. It just seemed hilariously appropriate when I read the theme.

03 Jul 2016 17:15 - 03 Jul 2016 17:16 #14061 by em...
Attachments:

04 Jul 2016 02:52 #14062 by hansnomad

I was thinking of a Captain Brexit.

Feel free to go with it, I wasn't claiming it exclusively as my own. It just seemed hilariously appropriate when I read the theme.

Thanks, but I was just kidding. I didn't really think of doing that. I think it's a great idea though--I'm really looking forward to see what you do with it.

04 Jul 2016 20:43 #14067 by Valence
That's a nice clean and crisp sketch, em... and it already has a comicbook feel with that inked use of blacks.
I like the asymmetric top of the head, it seems to exaggerate and complement the manic expression.

I had a few scribbles today but I'm still trying to work out how to fit things within the template.
I think I am gonna go with the topical news theme and try to do something like a political cartoon (always wanted to try one of those) involving Boris Johnson as a rather corpulent destroyer of worlds.
Hopefully I'll have something to post in a day or two when I work out the composition and format.

05 Jul 2016 23:49 - 05 Jul 2016 23:51 #14070 by hansnomad
As I said before, I'm going much darker with this (more Dave Gibbons/Alan Moore/Punisher). Always wanted to do something like that. Wanted the character to have a homegrown type costume, not funded by a billionaire's research but more what can I get my hands on via the black market. Need to come up with a chest design for the flak vest (spray painted, of course). No fancy stitching for this anti-hero.

Attachments:

06 Jul 2016 04:44 #14072 by Quetzal
In his Fortress of Solitude, the Hero awaits...
Attachments:

06 Jul 2016 19:49 - 06 Jul 2016 21:00 #14076 by Valence
Hansnomad: I feel like a stuck record saying this, but that's another fantastic drawing! You seem to get it right first time every time.

Quetzal: Terrific angle. Really dynamic and should work well as a cover too. You do seem to have a good eye for picking the right viewpoint for an image. And I did laugh at that "Fortress Of Solitude". Looks very comfy indeed. :)

Finally got one of my scribbles to work so here is Blundering Boris as Captain Brexit running away from Europe while patriotically waving a tiny flag.

Currently in the process of trying to get a likeness, I included the reference shots for any non-UK viewers who are fortunate enough to not know who BoJo is. :)
I'm quite happy with the work on the main features but I definitely need to refine the outer shape of the face. I was initially going for a jowly kind of look but I think something smoother might work better.
At least this month I've got enough time to fix my numerous errors. :P

Edit: Just had another little go at smoothing the outer edge of the face and I think this looks better now.
Attachments: