April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN July 2016 - The Star Spangled B*stard - WIPs

19 Jul 2016 18:24 #14180 by segujo
hi all!

Might give this a go... I have an idea and a start at least... :P
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Jul 2016 14:37 #14192 by Valence
Great expression on that face, segujo. :) And I like the carefree way he's twirling that gun in his hand.

21 Jul 2016 02:54 - 21 Jul 2016 23:41 #14197 by hansnomad
Have not done any painting--been playing with paper textures. Why? Why not?

I decided to use various paper textures I've downloaded in conjunction with digital pencils and charcoal to see what I could come up with. I like to experiment whenever possible (although some times it can get in the way of finishing). The result below is multiple layers of paper textures erased in strategic places along with the line work and tinting overlay (some of it is admittedly not well defined, but I'm hoping to do that when I paint). As I said before, went much darker with this than most (by the way, love the Captain America rips so far!).

Attachments:

22 Jul 2016 00:45 #14206 by Valence
All those textures are looking good, hansnomad
And I like that bright value of the head and how it stands out against the dark. It looks like a really solid structure and together with the pose it enhances the confrontational attitude of the character.
I hope you keep some of those varied lost-and-found edges disappearing into the shadows. It all adds to the excellent mood.

27 Jul 2016 15:03 - 27 Jul 2016 18:53 #14226 by SchizophreniaWolf
Hi all!!!!!!! :lol:

Valence: I like yours, its funny and a nice portrait. You can push the legs more to the back (make them smaller) to create more perspective and increase the feeling of him running away from the background.

Here's my update
so the story is: My captain America-like first lieutenant just started working as a junior commissioned officer. He used to fight for freedom and stability, at least he tought he was. During a secret mission he was supposed to infiltrate an afgan opposing village disguised as a deserted soldier trying to join an anti-american movement in the middel-east. A terrorist organisation took him in and ordered him to train afgan orphans to become fighters and suicidebommers. Emotionaly he had a hard time doing that. But when he found out that this terrorist organisation was supported and informed by a secret american organisation that was seeking absolute power in the middel-east and its oil-production things started to slip. The secret american organisation was trying to increase terrorist activity and cause mass instability in the middel-east so "america" would get the "democratic" support for more military action. The lieutenant secretly trained the orphans to assassinate the terrorists and then move to America as refugees and assassinate the ones responsible for this sinister plan. The islamist terrorists found out and tried to kill the lieutenant, he got away but lost half of his face. All the children were executed, exept one. The boy was badly mutilated, but he and the lieutenant survived by hiding in an oil tank. They escaped but became very sick and traumatized. Then things become very complicated. The lieutenant started having nightmares of a giant skeleton snake made of oil eating his last orphan, his body melting together with the bones (oil). The lieutenant makes himself a mask that constantly feeds him the smell of petrol because he thinks he needs it to stay alive. In America he is portrayed as a deserted officer that went mad and became a terrorist, a big enemy of the state.

Pretty drak as usualy, hope you enjoy it.

Attachments: