April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN June 2016 Cleric of the Moon God Lûne - WIP

01 Jun 2016 09:11 - 01 Jun 2016 09:12 #13837 by Banj
Cleric of the Moon God Lûne

Brief: This months brief come from Mercurycat in the suggestions thread . Character portrait or scene containing a devotee of Lûne. Draw the cleric in his/her identifying robes/vestments/armour/tattoos and include somewhere on his/her person the holy symbol/sigil/representation of Lûne. Lûne is a male or female aspect God of one or more moons.

Deadline: Thursday 30th June at midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs, your final entry should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...god-lune-final#13836

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2016 09:27 - 03 Jun 2016 13:05 #13843 by CherryGraphics
Nice topic this month! I always like mysterious subjects. :silly:

I think I have a nice little idea of a female cleric.... Let's dance for Luna.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

03 Jun 2016 23:32 #13845 by Atto
I have a lovely ref for this, just need to do a little ref on the symbolism and history of the god.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

05 Jun 2016 16:23 - 05 Jun 2016 16:27 #13847 by microscopi
Hey Cherry Cherry bo banny :P Awesome composition so far, I really like the lighting and soft warm colors you have developed from your initial sketch. It has a great atmosphere already which is cool to have encompassing a character, that lighting is pretty strong already!

Atto, don't sweat it about the last challenge. That's how matte painting developed, it's used in Hollywood for set designs all the time on huge blockbusters, you should develop that skill in your sketchbooks and other venues so you can have all art styles in your toolkit. I'm always and forever will be a sucker for plain art fundamentals, you can make some amazing stuff just by perfecting the basic skills! :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

06 Jun 2016 00:25 #13851 by Valence
That's a lovely concept for the theme, Cherry. The picture has a beautiful sense of flow and movement to it.
Make sure you check some reference for the standing leg. It's worth taking a bit of time to measure and shape the relationship between the calf and knee because this idea could work very well indeed!

06 Jun 2016 19:22 #13852 by SchizophreniaWolf
Nice start, Cherry pie! Love it!

08 Jun 2016 19:03 #13862 by Charlotte
I have been AWOL so long but I hope it's OK to try to come back by joining in a challenge (rather than help Banj and Kazky moderate :whistle: )

Considering my track record of late (which mostly consists of taking naps) I probably won't finish, but here, at least, is a start...

(Initial sketch + some sort of value sketch.... I think I have forgotten all about anatomy :P)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.
Attachments:

08 Jun 2016 21:47 #13863 by Valence
Welcome back from AWOL, Charlotte! Everything's still in the same place around here so you should feel comfortable. :)
Nice start to the picture too, I love the expression of focus and concentration, and that already looks exactly like a moon in the background!

Thankfully I haven't forgotten any anatomy. You can only forget things if you bothered to learn them in the first place. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

09 Jun 2016 16:40 #13871 by Tyl
Cherry: Nice start. Very dynamic.
Charlotte: Interesting composition. Her head is a bit too big.
I want to depict the cleric as a kind of medieval Viking priestess. I don't show the moon in the painting. It has to be clear for the viewer that she is looking at and worshipping the lighting up her pail skin.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlotte

10 Jun 2016 08:17 #13873 by Tyl
What looks like sheep wool needs to become fur. I will need to find a way to get the texture of fur right. Her mouth is a bit off, needs some tweeking. I’m also not sure of the framing, maybe she needs to be a bit lower in the picture.

Attachments: