March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN April 2016 - Discworld - WIPs

01 Apr 2016 10:10 #13616 by Banj
Discworld

Brief: This months challenge was taken from the discussion in the suggestions thread and was designed by Bloody Stupid Johnson. Depict a scene, character, shopping trolley (PLOP!), or anything else from Terry Pratchett's series of Discworld novels.

Deadline: Saturday 30th of April, by midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs, final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-final-entries#13615

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Apr 2016 06:33 #13639 by microscopi
I've never heard of discworld so i'm feeling bloody stupid too! :X Although when I think of a place called disc world, this comes to mind. I did a quick google search and saw some mushroom structures, so I threw some mushroom design on one of my towers, although it doesn't fit, so I might remove it! :?

Attachments:

05 Apr 2016 08:47 #13640 by Banj

I've never heard of discworld so i'm feeling bloody stupid too!

Not a problem, well done for jumping in even though you are unfamiliar with the universe. Just as interesting to see people's interpretation of the title as well. :thumbup:

05 Apr 2016 12:51 - 05 Apr 2016 12:52 #13642 by CherryGraphics
Well I have almost the same problem as micro because I am not familiar with the disc world. Last year I've read the very first book of the series and ... well .. it wasn't my favorite. Nevertheless I have a huge respect for T.P. to give such a complex universe life.

I came up with the idea to paint a character of disc world and because I don't know anyone but Rincewind and his treasure chest I looked up some more characters and *oh my gosh* found ... me. The bookworm.303 (he is really fast while magic from books he visits is attacking him)

WIP1 :D

micro I like the progress a lot so. The right side looks really fantastic so far and I like the chosen colors. :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

05 Apr 2016 21:53 #13647 by segujo
Hi guys! Long time no drawing... but I Think I will make a try to complete something this time...

Discworld for me is witches so I thought I will do ine of those. :)

Not really sure how posting goes nowadays.. pls correct me if I mess something up... :P

Attachments:

06 Apr 2016 11:56 #13648 by Valence
micro: I like the warm light falling on that right hand side. It creates a lovely contrast with the cooler background and gives the landscape an impressive sense of distance.

Cherry: That's a fantastic choice of character and sounds really appropriate for your style. I've only ever read the first book too (and that was a long time ago!) but that won't stop you making something wonderful of of this idea.

Segujo: That's a classic old witch design there. Especially the wart on that big hag's nose! :) Those twisting, groping branches of the tree are nice and creepy. Looking forward to seeing more.

07 Apr 2016 12:25 #13651 by Atto
Not overly familiar with the Discworld universe either but I'm gonna take a punt at this one too. I have read the first two books and watched the TV two part special.

I did some research on the TV movie and was surprised to find that David Bradley who played Cohen the barbarian also features in Harry Potter as the library Guard. With Sean Austin appearing in both The colour of Magic and that little known flick The Lord of the Rings I thought a movie mash up may well be in order. Something along the lines of 'The Colour of The Potter' with T.P. as Rincewind. I was also a massive fan of Josh Kirby's artwork as a kid so I thought that may be a nice jumping off point in terms of style.
Initial sketch to follow soon.

Segujo: Nice start, loving the old hags expression and looking forward to seeing how you deal with the Magic.

Cherry: I don't know the character but it seems like a very cool idea, theres a little bit of a book worm in me too, so to speak.

Micro: Don't hold back Micro, just jump right in there with an epic piece why don't you? Awesome sense of scale, depth and (once again) lighting here.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

07 Apr 2016 15:29 #13652 by Atto
My final.....

Just kidding!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

07 Apr 2016 16:08 #13653 by microscopi
Nice start Atto ;) There was a two part tv special???

Well I think I f'd the dog doing research on this one, but I found a better composition I liked, I hate the water direction going off screen but I think the rest looks interesting enough to start detailing.
I want to get the best comp I can before I waste any time doing details.

Great first draft Cherry, I like the hand coming out of the book and the background looks interesting enough so far. Nice idea too! :woohoo:

Seg good to see you back, cool sketch you have going on, looking great! I'm really digging the classic look of the witch too! :woohoo:

Attachments:

07 Apr 2016 16:27 #13654 by Valence

There was a two part tv special???

I think the first part is on YouTube if you search for "Color Of Magic".

Here in the UK we've also had TV versions of The Hogfather and Going Postal. And I haven't seen them either. :P