April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 2016 - Life on Mars - WIPs

21 Feb 2016 07:35 - 21 Feb 2016 07:56 #13377 by microscopi

Val, I am really enjoying watching your panel art style progress this month. The Lawrence Of Arabia image is the dramatic one so far, with that mood and lighting and bold pose of the hero.
Are you going to have a comic book style layout or just a freestyle with the panels floating on top of each other?
That's a cool style for an alien, he looks like the more hostile grey's with a bit of reptilian in there, maybe a cross breed!?
The light glar on the eye really sells the reflection, maybe can add more hightlights to the lower lid too to show more moisture, all the panels are looking great design wise, just need to clean them
all up to match the detail of the first space panel. But the alien and eye are close. :woohoo:

Schizo, awesome idea, you always jump in with this really strong rough sketch and then you just leave it, you better finish this one! ALthough I hope I didn't rip you off but you inspired me to design a better perpective, the old ones had major probelms that I didn't quite see until I studied a bunch of other images from photos and other artists alike.
I like the prespective you have managed to get with this rough image, the creature looks really primitive with the huge horned tail and ribbed back, cool design! :woohoo:

Atto, the structure is very interesting and the lighting definitely sells it, I definitely like the new pic with the time magazine look, for some reason the desatureted look helps sell it. Although you chose some awesome colors and lighting to match with the previous wip and I liked the intricate design of all the stone walls and stairs built right out
of the mountain. GO with what you like best though! :cheer:

Nalo, way to jump right in and come up with a cool design like just like that! Orignal idea and you did a great job with the composition of the women so large in the front of the image, the pose definitely reminds you of a vintage pin up, the captions are hilarious! You beat everyone to the final with just a few hours work, it looks really great, good luck, hope you join more challenges in the future! :woohoo:

I am going to stay with this one, I don't have much time to change it again this time of the month! :P
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Feb 2016 10:48 - 21 Feb 2016 10:57 #13378 by Nalo_does_art1
Everyone here is describing their feelings towards art so well :D
I am pretty bad at it so forgive me if my response are fairly short and bland haha.

Micro: thanks for the kind words, I am really digging your piece, it has a kinetic oil painted feel to me.
P.s I checked out your other work and wow! :O

Atto: looking good Atto! I cannot tell which I prefer haha.
The black and white one fits with the overall Time magazine idea better, but I really like the colour piece too :D
Hey! The Martian Galactic trip is only dumb for those that aren't prepared (to die :D).

Sorry for the Wip repost, I moved this image here so I would have two seperates links, I felt bad coming here and breaking the rules on my first day :D
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

21 Feb 2016 19:35 #13381 by microscopi
Thanks Nalo :lol: Don't worry about giving really detailed feedback, I think Val is the expert with that anyway :P
You're forgiven for breaking the rules, you get one, after this, you'll have to be tortured! :evil: :lol:

Update on mine, just going to for calm landscape look.

Attachments:

21 Feb 2016 23:30 - 21 Feb 2016 23:40 #13384 by SchizophreniaWolf
Many thx Atto, lol wrecking ball!

Thank you very much, Valence!! :blush:

And thank you, microscopi! :lol: And you are right, I should finish paints now and then. Sometimes I am very chaotic and I easily forget stuff. This time I will finish in time, promis. And no problem about the "ripping of" :lol: I realy love that golden look of your landscape. I see that you too have improved your skills! Nice. But I like the foreground in post #13377 more that de later post #13381. The one in #13377 looks more natural, while in #13381 the 3 bigger stones lay at the same distance from each other and look somewhat the same size. But anyway, a nice paint!

UPDATE!!!

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: microscopi

22 Feb 2016 19:22 #13394 by microscopi
Thanks Schizo! :woohoo: I tried to make some ot the rocks different in the forground and messed around with the color a bit to make it more interesting, I made an iguana type creature too headed for the water, although i'm not sure i'f i'm going to add him or not. Liking the small little details you added to yours, the solid brush strokes really are bold, but give it a nice crisp feeling. There's so many cracks to paint must feel tedious but it all the small details do pay off. I like the angle you have too with the rock in the forground giving it a cool depth! B) Keep it coming, you still have plenty of time to finish!

Attachments:

26 Feb 2016 21:40 #13422 by Valence
Lovely light in all of those wips, micro.

I'm done with the painting part of mine (it became increasingly difficult to get the same level of detail and style in all the panels) and I now just have to put the captions in to give it some narrative clarity.
But I thought I'd shove the text-free page here.

Attachments:

27 Feb 2016 19:29 #13430 by oaktree
Not been able to do much work to this my wacom packed up and it took me some time to get it fixed.
I will try to move it along a bit before the finish deadline but I'm not happy with it as usual.
Attachments:

29 Feb 2016 21:50 #13438 by oaktree
Just to show how it stands now. Not finished so will not be entering the finals thread
Good luck to all that finished.

Attachments:

01 Mar 2016 15:41 #13453 by microscopi
Hey Oak, great progress on your image, with more time to finish you would of worked it all out. :woohoo: You've got a cool idea, the perspective you have creates nice depth. I think as far as depth goes, just making the ship lighter in color then the astronaut, will make it seem further away. and maybe making it larger will help show it's the centerpoint of the image.

When I look at your pic, I can see the ship further down on the ground and bigger, with the sun hitting it and creating all kinds of cool reflections!