April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Jan 2016 - New Dawn - WIPs

01 Jan 2016 14:04 #13109 by Banj
New Dawn

Brief: Open brief, create an image interpret the title into something amazingly awesomely wonderful.

Deadline: Sunday 31st of January, by midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs, Final Entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-2016-new-dawn#13108

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Jan 2016 00:24 #13127 by Atto
Well, looks like I'm the first to start again (or maybe just the first to post).

Due to my wifes fascination with the Twilight Saga this months title can really only mean one thing for me. Sure I went through a few ideas about the whole 'emerging into the light' thing and 'the beginning of a new period' stuff but I decided to go with this.
My Ref for the girl at the back is pretty strong but the guy at the front is not lit in the way I picture him here. Gonna take some jiggling and pokery to get him right but I think I'm up to the challenge - I'm up for trying it at least.

Early days but I want the basic forms down before I get into too much detail stuff (yeah I know I probably took the gun a little far at this stage) plus I need to get the lighting down pretty early as I'm guessing thats going to be pretty important judging by the title of this months challenge ;)

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

04 Jan 2016 14:18 #13128 by Valence
I remain blissfully ignorant of all the "Twiglet" movies and books so any subtle meaning or reference will sail way over my head. :)
But even without that knowledge this picture is looking good. You always pick such interesting and challenging angles for your figures!

I have a bit of an idea swirling around but I've yet to test it out or draw anything at all. It's always so very hard to get back into an artistic routine after a Christmas period of doing absolutely nothing!
Now, where did I put my motivation?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

05 Jan 2016 12:53 #13129 by Banj

I remain blissfully ignorant of all the "Twiglet" movies and books

Good fortune has smiled upon you.

05 Jan 2016 13:47 - 05 Jan 2016 14:16 #13130 by CherryGraphics
Hey Atto - You ain't alone! :) And these are very strong poses - I'm really curous to see more!

I thought about the title in another way. I wanted to go with this more natural. Looking outside the winter has finally arrived in germany but after the winter there is always spring. And this should be my New Dawn. .... just a bit more ... funny. :D

... I should name them Chip and Chap. :silly:

Val? I found some of your motivation under my pillow. What would you give me for this for a
compensation? :P

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

05 Jan 2016 17:29 #13131 by Atto
Thanks Val - The types of poses are a little of an affectation for me, there is nothing that scares me more about drawing the human form than stuggling with that symmetry of a figure posed head on or with just a slight sway to the hips and shoulders. That said I do spend an inordinate amount of time searching through reference for that pose that excites me and love the challenge of extreme poses and the limits of what the human body can achieve. There aren't going to be any subtle references to those god awful movies either, hell, the Vampires in that franchise aren't even destroyed by sunlight. If you are unfortunate enough to be made to watch them though it must be said some of the cinematography in them is truly beautiful, it's just a pity they're all bark and no bite.

Love the early sketch Cherry and the one squirrel hugging that hot water bottle with a satisfied smile on his face is wonderful.

At this time of year I usually find my inspiration drowned at the bottom of some bottle of alcohol but have been trying to behave a bit more lately. Though I did treat myself to some time away from doing my self assessment tax return to work on mine a little more. Not sure about the position of the door right now and noticed a major blunder with the height of the girls knees compared to her.....shall we say....posterior (now sorted I hope).

NB. I did find a nice reference entitled 'Abandoned' for the light pouring in through that shattered doorway by a certain Mr S. Wolf. Just hope I can get somewhere approaching his fantastic rendering.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

06 Jan 2016 00:52 - 06 Jan 2016 00:54 #13132 by microscopi
Looking good Atto, that is definitely a good angle from the viewpoint of the guy. Great start so far :woohoo:

Can tell the squirrels are going to have so much personality already Cherry :lol:

Early idea wip :?

Attachments:

06 Jan 2016 06:59 - 06 Jan 2016 07:01 #13134 by microscopi
Came up with a better idea, first wip was pretty rough to say the least :X

Attachments:

06 Jan 2016 08:28 #13135 by microscopi
Attachments:

06 Jan 2016 14:42 #13136 by CherryGraphics
thanks guys :) I really hoped they would have some personality, my two squirrels... :D

That's a nice WIP micro! like the little monkeys watching the moon .... with a good light this scene can be veeeeery moodfull and wonderfull :)

nice update atto - I'm reeeeally looking forward to see how you'll oaint the lights from the door. :)

spent some time on ... eh ... Chip (left) andf Chap (yeah - right) :) (All I have in mind is ..... IT'S SO FLUFFY! from Despicable me :lol: )

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: