March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Dec 2015 Challenge - Exodos - WIPs

10 Dec 2015 07:35 #12965 by CherryGraphics
Seems like this is a really epic, scenical challenge this month, mh? great!
Guess this is THE challenge for micro :D I love the icy mountains and their texture a lot. It's a pity that I don't have the skill to do something like this :whistle: :pinch:

atto yours is also coming along very nice - the mountain in the background looks realistic and I look forward to the progress of the wandering people :)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Dec 2015 03:06 #12991 by microscopi
This is a really epic challenge Cherry, so you should join ! :woohoo: I actually use photo reference a lot so not entirely all talent :whistle: Although like Atto, I wasn't feeling my pic, so decided to change it up to a space scene. I made the spaceship in 3d and painted on top in photoshop.

Attachments:

13 Dec 2015 21:09 - 13 Dec 2015 21:10 #12994 by microscopi
Attachments:

13 Dec 2015 23:35 #12995 by Atto
Thanks Val, Micro for the words of advice.
Micro, I'm liking this new image, the colours come across very well though I do prefer the first image of the two that only kind of hints at the extent of the ship as it glimpsed through the clouds. The second also reminds me of Voyager a bit too much.

I've changed mine a little in view of your opinions, that I thought all had merit. I havent altered the rock in the distance as you suggest Micro as I like the way the main figure echo's its form a little and thought I may loose the effect. I hope this appears less like a queue now but still indicates the mass of people are following the woman.
I do feel a little lost with it right now but that may be due to the limited time I'm getting to work on it. I've added the green to her costume to try and represent her as a religious/seer type character leading her people out of the desert toward a better life in the more verdant land at the destination of the Exodos.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

14 Dec 2015 15:45 #12999 by microscopi
Hey Atto, I hope you don't mind me doing this, but I thought maybe if you change a couple things around in your pic, it might make your eyes go from the rock structure to the women, and create more dynamic perspective. I did a quick paint over, just to show my idea, hope thats ok, don't beat me :X I agree about mine, I was liking the first more, but hearing someone else say it confirms my suspicions that it was not working, thanks :P

Attachments:

14 Dec 2015 20:40 #13000 by Atto
Thanks Micro - and I don't mind at all, so no beating on its way.
I actually much prefer the proportions of the rock in your version so I'm going to have a look at rejigging it. The only aspect that concerns me is how small the main figure is now. I may have to look at enlarging her then moving the followers to coincide with her head height as Val suggested in a previous post. I do like that larger expanse of sand too though so we'll see.

In the second of your pictures I did really like that fin extruding from the bottom of the ship that clove its way through the clouds. Perhaps you could look at incorporating that element into the first image :woohoo: and I didnt mean to suggest that second image wasn't working :unsure: I just found the first more interesting.

21 Dec 2015 02:42 #13054 by Atto
Quick update:

Attachments:

21 Dec 2015 02:51 #13055 by Valence
The relative sizes of the figures work much better now. And I like the subtle detail in the sky. It breaks up and divides the space giving some compositional structure without too much overpowering distraction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

21 Dec 2015 07:20 #13056 by microscopi
That is looking much better scale wise, the characters in back of the main character looks better perspective wise.

Bit quite this month, I keep rearranging my design, I think i'm going to stick with this one, not much time to change it up again :blink:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

28 Dec 2015 22:22 #13086 by Atto
Looking good Micro, the ship emerging from those clouds creates a nice sense of intrigue to the shape and size of the ship, I find myself trying to see through those windows to grab a peek of what's inside.

I can barely stand to work on mine anymore. I think the length of time I've been working on it and the break over Christmas have conspired to drain all my interest in the original idea away. I'll sit on it for a few more days but will probably post in the finals as is.

There's a lot I'm not happy with but really wanted to at least get something down partly because the challenge was created from my suggestion but also because I wanted to push through the issues I was having as if it was a real life brief.

By the way Merry Christmas all, hope you had a great few days!!

Attachments: