April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN November 2015 - Dragon Slayer - WIPs

28 Nov 2015 15:18 #12873 by Valence
Cherry: Loving the little samurai-type guy with his flowing hair. It makes a nice change from the usual armoured knight and that's a wonderfully dynamic pose full of convincing movement.

Cgmythology: Hey there! :waves: haven't seen you for a while (not since the name change, at least) and that's a great pic to return with. A beautiful clean drawing (well worth the time you spent on it) and I know you always colour things well. It has an Anne Stokes quality to it and I like the way you've broken the symmetry with those little subtle changes of pose and detail.
Hope you finish in time!
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgmythology

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Nov 2015 18:56 #12874 by cgmythology
Thanks Valence, it's an absolute blast to be painting again, and I'm having an absolute blast with this image... Haven't had this much fun with a painting in ages.... I'm working on the image nonstop as well, so I'm hopeful I can meet the deadline. Below is the current progress shot:

File Attachment:

28 Nov 2015 20:52 #12875 by Atto
Cgmythology - Thats a very cool image and I agree a little Anne Stoke(sy) :unsure: Its also great to see how you work that image up, I often find seeing that process more interesting than the final piece. Such a great palette too, makes those blue eyes really pop. I would like to see a little more of the break in symmetry across the dragon but thats just a personal preference. I love those orange highlights on the dragons eyes which mirror the highlights on her hair and, along with the form of the dragons head create a really strong focal point to the whole image. Welcome back!

Val - Thanks for the kind words, the painterly effect is the same I used in the scorpio challenge but a little more confidently handled I think. At some point I intend to do a whole image in that style.... we'll see what the next challenge brings. I did check my ref. regarding that near breast and (what a surprise!!) you were correct. I see your point about the rim light too but I like the way both characters blend with their surroundings but in a different way. Her in a quite physical, realistic way and him a little more whimisical and fantastical.

Cherry - Thanks for the vote of confidence. Thats a great little dragon slayer you have there and his shadow really adds to the whole 2d/3d thing you have going on.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

28 Nov 2015 20:57 #12876 by cgmythology
Atto: Thank you, I very much enjoy the warm color palette, I often work best with that. I agree about the break of the symmetry regarding the dragon, I'm planning on in adding some variation as the image process. Right now I'm playing it a bit safe as the scales are very time consuming. Below is the current progress:

File Attachment:

28 Nov 2015 21:20 - 28 Nov 2015 21:24 #12879 by microscopi
Hey Guys, thanks for all the comments on mine :cheer

I haven't been up to painting so much lately, my 40th birthday is coming up this week and I am sort of down about it ! :(

cgmyth - Looking awesome! :woohoo: The initial sketch was very solid and you did a outstanding job with it adding color and detail. I really like the design a lot, I know it's hard to stay motivated and inspired. You can also have the dragon looking sideways, if the symmetrical aspect isn't working for you. Although I think it's working now, just try to add different details to each side maybe.

Cherry - Your's is coming along great! I do really think the style you have this month is awesome, it's really different from your usual stuff, and it's great to try other styles, the design is very imaginative, and I love how the tattoos are battling it out and how she's just looking on casually :P

Atto - The characters are developing awesomely, they both match in detail and the color and costumes are really well thought out! The character on the left looks great with the misty detail and his estranged pose, the expessions are great, you nailed it there. B)

Oak - Awesome job so far, the story element draws you in and keeps your eye moving around the image to the dragon in the forground, I like the character design a lot, the horse looks amazing and you are getting a lot better with perspective! The town in the background adds a lot more depth to your pic too having the horse and rider large in the forground. :cheer:

I don't have an update on mine, I worked on it for a few more hours but couldn't make any progress, although Atto adding a character giving the dragon the finger does sound hilarious ! :woohoo:

29 Nov 2015 04:03 - 29 Nov 2015 04:05 #12882 by microscopi
Update from tonight, decided to go for a different lighting setup, I did the fairy just for you Atto :P

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

29 Nov 2015 07:43 #12883 by cgmythology
microscopi: Thanks! I'm planning on adding some variations to the dragon as the image progresses. Your image is looking great btw, love the lighting and composition, very dynamic!

Current update:

File Attachment:

29 Nov 2015 16:07 #12885 by Charlotte
*pokes micro*
Nothing wrong with being 40! :) Happy Birthday a bit early!
*is almost 41*

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

29 Nov 2015 22:15 #12886 by cgmythology
Worked on the image some more and finalized it, very happy with the fact that I made the deadline, although it took a ridiculous amount of effort on my part. It was definitely worth it, however, as I'm very pleased with how it turned out! Thanks to everyone that gave me suggestions and feedback for this piece, very much appreciate it!

File Attachment:

29 Nov 2015 23:03 #12888 by microscopi
"*pokes micro*
Nothing wrong with being 40! :) Happy Birthday a bit early!
*is almost 41* "

Thanks Charlotte, I don't know why it's comforting knowing you're up there too :P

Cg awesome job this month on the final, going to be some tough competition :S