April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN November 2015 - Dragon Slayer - WIPs

10 Nov 2015 12:29 - 10 Nov 2015 12:29 #12796 by SchizophreniaWolf

hello all

very nice cherry x
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Nov 2015 19:28 #12797 by Valence
Atto: That has the atmospheric feel of a video game. I just want to push that analogue stick forward to creep further into the scene to see where that dragon's hiding. :)

Schizo: Another horror from my nightmares! :lol: The face looks nice and scary in an unexpected way and I like all the angles of the legs and wings. They work very well compositionally in the way they cut across those converging verticals as if blocking your escape and it'll be interesting to see how you get them all to link to the dragons body.

12 Nov 2015 00:41 #12799 by Atto
Thanks Val - I hope you mean a video game like Skyrim as opposed to Minecraft :P I'm gonna take it as a compliment anyhow.

Cherry - I'm loving the technique that your using and the composition of the piece - I'm hoping that red circle remains a 2D element as I think the mix of the illustrational style (is that even a word? - It is now!) and the more graphic elements in these types of image are really successful when done well.

Schizo - I always love the energy in your work and all the design elements are extremely well realised and original (I would love to see inside your head it seems like a very scary but cool place to hang out). With the plethora of dragon imagery and folklore its fantastic to see such an original take on the theme.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

13 Nov 2015 00:01 #12805 by Digital Dave
Sat down for a few moments tonight and tried roughing something in for this challenge, but not really feeling it at this point... :unsure:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

13 Nov 2015 20:57 #12807 by SchizophreniaWolf
Valence: Thx and I admire you understanding of imagery. Oh and sorry I didn't finish my halloween-entry, lost track of time. :dry:
Atto: Waw thx. Well, I wish I had a billion euros to make al the movies I saw in my head. Idd, I'm a very emotional, angry, unhappy, troubled guy. And I know that life is to short to be all that, but still. Now and then I end up in my dark room, drinking, painting horrors.

enough talk! :lol:

Time for an update!

Attachments:

13 Nov 2015 23:50 #12808 by Atto
I really wasn't feeling that last piece so as time is in short supply for me right now I thought I'd start again (I'm just not motivated by either of the original sketches)
So Dragon Slayer Pt. 3: Slay Harder.
As faces are something I normally leave till the end and am never happy with I though I'd start with one this time.
For the more eagle eyed the previous incarnation of this piece is gonna be used by the wizard to show the warrior the location of her prey in the crystal ball.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.
Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 01:13 #12809 by Digital Dave
Didn't like the quick rough sketch from yesterday, so tried again tonight. Still not sure yet.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 08:25 #12811 by microscopi
Wow lots of new stuff to go over :woohoo: I'm still in pain when I type so i'll comment more when I have more oxy :X

I wasn't going to do anything this month, but got to sketchin and came up with this, sort of revamped from an earlier idea, I need a muse.

Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 15:58 #12812 by Valence
Excellent updates from everybody.

Dave: I'm glad you changed your idea, this is much better than the previous one. The first pic looked very flat with both the slayer and dragon on the same plane and was in desperate need of a shift in viewpoint. The new composition has much more going for it and looks like a cover for a book or videogame, or one of those fantasy card game things (that I don't understand. :S)

Atto: You could enter all your picture ideas and just compete with yourself this month. :lol: I like the face that you've done (nothing to be unhappy about there) and it's good to see you're recycling the work you've already done. Waste not, want not. :)

Schizo: The way you express fear, unease and anxiety in your pictures never stops being impressive. And those legs now look even better than I thought they would, the monster looks perfectly poised for a gruesome kill.

Micro: That's an epic widescreen shot! There's some nice depth in there with the overlap of the dragon and the surroundings, and the shadow areas lead you in along the path the slayer has to take. Hope the pain won't stop you progressing further.

14 Nov 2015 23:34 #12813 by microscopi
Thanks Val, i'm not sure if i'm going to have a slayer, tried changing it to include a rider, and possibly a monster they're hunting, pain is just sticking around so far, but managed an update!

Attachments: