April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN November 2015 - Dragon Slayer - WIPs

01 Nov 2015 09:12 - 01 Nov 2015 09:14 #12724 by Banj
Dragon Slayer

Brief: This is an open theme to create something sci-fi or fantasy themed based on the title.

Deadline: Monday 30th of November, by midnight GMT.

This is where you post your WIPs. Final entries should be posted over here: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-final-entries#12725

Challenge rules and guidelines:
cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/challeng...s/39-challenge-rules

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Nov 2015 00:39 #12730 by Atto
And so the hunt for reference images begins - nice topic Banj!

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

03 Nov 2015 02:26 - 03 Nov 2015 02:30 #12741 by Atto
Early sketch for the background of my intended dragon slayer image - the possibilities that come to mind are endless but I thought I'd try a landscape piece.

Attachments:

04 Nov 2015 00:14 - 04 Nov 2015 00:17 #12744 by Digital Dave
Nice start, Atto. You definitely have a nice sense of depth already to which to build onto. Look forward to seeing it progress. :)

Not sure I will get to join in on this one? I was just informed that I'm already slated to attend a few community town council meetings as representative for my office, as well as some pumping station tours they are providing for some of the towns. And unfortunately these are all scheduled to take place on the weekends in the next few weeks. So unless I can find some free time to doodle in the evenings, I doubt I will have much time to work on anything this month. :(

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

04 Nov 2015 02:39 - 04 Nov 2015 02:41 #12748 by Atto
Thanks Dave, I've just got so many ideas buzzing round I had to throw down at least one more. Thought I should try a bit more of an action shot here, lots more chains, ropes and maybe some weights restraining the dragon to follow. I like this one because I empathise with the dragon a little. I'm also quite excited to try some leathery transparency on his wings.

Attachments:

04 Nov 2015 20:46 #12754 by Valence
I like the muted colours of the first one. And I like all the figures in the second one. Also there are some nice diagonals in that composition.
I'm now interested to see which one is going to develop. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Atto

06 Nov 2015 14:22 #12766 by CherryGraphics
Good starts Atto! I truly like both ideas a lot!

At first I struggled a bit with this subject ... but I think I have a nice little idea in mind and because I want to change my style a bit this time I guess this is a acceptable start for this challenge.

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

06 Nov 2015 21:26 - 06 Nov 2015 22:12 #12768 by Valence
That's a clever little idea there Cherry. I like the expression on the girl's face and the early style that you've already got in the image is impressive.
The big red circle and the parchment colour and texture to the background makes me think of Japanese woodcut prints and those lovely watercolour-style paintings of Hoang Nguyen (that also tend to have tattoos in them.)
I know you've been speeding up your workflow recently but don't be afraid to take your time with this.

07 Nov 2015 16:42 #12776 by Digital Dave
Agree with Valence, on the creative idea. Definitely thinking outside the box! :) Also like the overall layout as well.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

09 Nov 2015 22:21 #12790 by Atto
So I'm going for the landscape piece (at least for now). I've put in a little more detail to the background and some suggestions of sun flares which I quite like atm. Now to block in our heroine and attempt to render her up using a similar palette (yeah i know shes way too over saturated and bright right now). Then onto adding more gear for slaying and surviving in the wilderness, some more atmosphere then the addition of our villain.

Attachments: