April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Zodiac - Scorpio challenge - WIPs

23 Oct 2015 08:40 #12674 by Banj
Scorpio (October 23 - November 21)

The zodiac challenge will aim to run for the entire zodiac year and work with the timescale of each zodiac sign. This is a 'just for fun' challenge, but you will have a lovely set of horoscope images if you choose to take part. Kazky will be the main moderator for these challenges so contact her if you have questions or issues.

We will be sticking to the western zodiac, apologies to other zodiacs :)
Research each sign and depict it however you interpret it.

Deadline: November 21st
Final Entries thread: cgartnexus.com/index.php/forums/current-...-final-entries#12673

Rules in brief:
  • All challenge entries must be your own work.
  • You should post at least two WIP images that are clearly different from your final entry and each other.
  • Your final entry should contain your image (inserted so it shows up full size) and at least two links to your WIP posts on the forum.
  • No chatter in the finals thread – if you have questions, post them in the WIP thread or PM an admin.
  • Feedback is allowed & encouraged together with the voting and in the WIP thread.
  • Deadline is given in UK time (midnight GMT) with a grace period of 5 minutes for getting the post sorted.
  • Each member may cast one vote.
  • No cheating! Admins may decide to disqualify an entry that does not adhere to the above rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Nov 2015 20:36 #12753 by Valence
My last few pictures have been pretty similar so I thought I'd try something different this month. Well, I say different- it's different for me at least, otherwise it's horribly generic. :lol:

I'm sure I'm not the first to note that a scorpion tail is reminiscent of a plait/braid so I thought I'd have a go at a kung fu girl with a deadly sting in her hair and her hands in a claw-like gesture.
And even though I'm not a great fan of manga I thought it'd be good to try that style for the first time. :ohmy:

I've scribbled out the figure and pose (rather messily)...

...and today I made a start on trying to refine it into something resembling line-art. And did I hate doing that? Did I? ... YES!
I hate linework/inking. Not my thing at all. It's only tracing over the scribbly sketch and yet it takes an eternity and I do struggle to control line weight and the smoothness of curve.
My neck is now killing me in a horribly tense way but I shall continue. For now. :)
Attachments:

05 Nov 2015 10:55 #12757 by Charlotte
I think you got the manga face down perfectly. I hope you can keep that expression when you do the line work. Speaking of which, you use Art Rage too, right? I actually really enjoy "inking" liines with the ink pen and adjusting how much the curves should get smoothed and how much the line should taper. The tapering seems to me to affect linewith better too, with pressure (even before you "end" the line).

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

05 Nov 2015 13:07 #12760 by Banj

I hate linework/inking. Not my thing at all. It's only tracing...

:ohmy: :pinch:

(Public service announcement: warning, naughty words contained in the following video)

05 Nov 2015 14:36 - 05 Nov 2015 15:35 #12761 by Valence
Public Service Announcement: WARNING! Never mind the naughty words, the previous video contains Ben Affleck AND his poxy little brother Casey!
It's gonna take me the rest of the day to recover from that horror.

But you know what I mean, the sketching should take longer than the tracing- sorry, inking. But for some reason, it doesn't.

And yes Charlotte, I think a software switcheroo is needed. It's strange, I usually do start my pics in ArtRage but these last couple of months I've been going through a PhotoShop phase. Hopefully that AR pen tool will behave and smooth out only the lines I want it to. :)

I think it's the precision I struggle with most. I just want to scribble and blend all the time in that smudgy, smeary way. :)

05 Nov 2015 23:51 #12763 by Atto
What? Aww, I love that movie! Well the bits with Jay and Silent Bob in them anyway (but then I'm a closet Kevin Smith fan).

I think its great that you're pushing yourself in a different direction Val, and I'm with you on your feelings toward Manga but then variety is the spice of life and I believe working in different styles and disciplines can serve to inform your other work in often quite surprising ways (except textile design, I find it very difficult to find any validity in textile design). The anatomy is looking good and I think you have the right mix of realism and comic styling to her forms. The stinger on the end of her braid also has a nice sense of weight to it.
I just wonder if she would look a little more dynamic standing on one leg with the other raised or leaping. Just a thought.

No smudge tool was harmed in the making of this image.

06 Nov 2015 01:31 - 07 Nov 2015 15:52 #12765 by Valence
Actually, I haven't see the movie. I'm just allergic to Ben Affleck :P as has been documented on another thread. I seem to be allergic to a lot of actors these days, I should just stop watching movies altogether. :)

I did go through a few different legs poses/stances at the start and sadly this was the best one I could manage. But you're right about the need for dynamism. I'm hoping (hoping!) that once I get colouring then the increased contrast will emphasize the distance (ie depth) between the hands and that this will give it some dynamic energy towards the viewer.
At the moment the foreshortened hand just merges with the shoulder/arm (especially as a thumbnail.) This is one of the other problems I have with linework: the potential solutions to problems don't kick in until later in the process so you have to just systematically plod on through each step in turn and hope that the later step will work.
It requires a level of confidence in both the process and your own ability to work it through and sadly I have neither of those things.
I just wanna dive in with colour and start smearing/smudging it about in my usual fashion! :D

06 Nov 2015 18:48 - 06 Nov 2015 18:49 #12767 by Charlotte
I made another edited version of an Aywas pet yesterday, making it more like a sea scorpion, and didn't realise until today that the choice of a scorpion was fitting for the season :P

EDIT: Note, this has nothing whatsoever to do with the challenge :whistle:

Attachments:

06 Nov 2015 21:37 #12769 by Valence
That's pretty cool, Charlotte! And it wouldn't look out of place in the challenge with an appropriate background.
And I'm envious of those smooth lines!

I did have a go with the ArtRage pen today but got very frustrated at my inability to control the tapering. The smoothing seems to taper both ends of the line when I don't necessarily want that. I'm sure there's a technique in there waiting for me to learn it but the middle of a challenge is probably not the right time. So I'm back in Photoshop for the time being. And what a very long time it seems to be... :ache:
I've almost got all the outlines done, just the hair left to do, and maybe some extra detail in the clothing. I'll definitely be glad when the inking (tracing!) is over.

06 Nov 2015 22:37 #12770 by Charlotte
well I can't take credit for most of the lines since it's an edited version of an original... I only did the claws, the "chubby" hind legs and the end of the tail really. And the colouring :P

For the ArtRage inkpen there's a taper bias slider. Not sure exactly what it does but I've always assumed it controls whether you have more tapering at the beginning or the end of the line... :unsure: