March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Feb 2015 - Letting off Steam - WIPS

09 Feb 2015 02:43 #8838 by Digital Dave
Thanks, Micro. Like others, liking the train idea. :)
Coming along nicely, Dom.

My last update of the weekend...

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Feb 2015 06:51 #8839 by CherryGraphics
Aaaaaaah! Really? Charlie the Choo-Choo (Or how he is called here in Germany: Charlie Tschuff-Tschuff :D)! I love Roland the Gunslinger and especially the episode with charlie *___* And it's looking really great so far - keep it up micro! :)

Dave this is looking better and better! great updates. I'm really curious how it comes with colors :)

Dom looks great so far! the rendering is very well and I really like the shiny effects. :)

Weekend's gone - I'll keep your tips in mind and paint some more of Isabella and Evie :D

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

09 Feb 2015 07:13 #8840 by SchizophreniaWolf
thats super cool Micro! i like it.

09 Feb 2015 14:37 - 09 Feb 2015 14:39 #8854 by CherryGraphics
Enough for today... She now has hands and a blouse with pleats :lol: (yes i really avoid the steampunk-related stuff until now... but it will come. ^^)

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

09 Feb 2015 19:36 - 09 Feb 2015 19:38 #8858 by Valence
Cherry: Lovely work all round there. I liked the hands before I like them even more now. The fabric is nice and convincing but I'm not sure about the bottom edge of the sleeve on the right side. The two edges of the cuff below the hand don't quite meet at the correct point above the hand. If that makes sense?!

Dave: Some impressive detailing in that distance. Don't forget a bit of a shadow under the bull to "ground" it a bit more.

Dom: I do like the colouring style and I said before and I'll say again you're doing really great with the edges. Will you be keeping it smooth and clean to the end or will you "grubby it up" with some gritty steampunk style texture? Hmmm, having just asked that I'm not sure which of those I'd prefer best so keep your options open. :)

micro: That's brilliant. Everything about that image is working. The whole train idea, the wide-angle composition, the colour scheme... Each bit complements the rest perfectly. I know from previous challenges that you're not afraid to make really massive changes as your pictures progress but be careful with this one because it's quite precious as it is. Just keep working those details!

09 Feb 2015 23:51 #8860 by Domtopia
Thanks Val!

Cherry: I think this is lovely. I have done a little paint over of yours, hope that's ok... It makes it easier to explain the changes I made!

First, I flipped the image and noticed that her closest eye needs moving slightly up and further away from her other eye. Also, I separated the goggles a little too, just to make them fit her head a bit better. I have added a few more shadows to her face, especially around the nose and chin, and I think it might look good to widen the lips a bit and thickened them up too.

I think this is looking really good and I am looking forward to seeing more!

Dave: ... Sorry, Mr. Dave!!: This is a solid piece that I have enjoyed watching take form. I love the bull and its convincingly manufactures features. Great work thus far!

Mic: Dude!! What happened to the eyes?? I was looking forward to a Thomas the Tank Engine in steampunk style... It's a great painting, but part of the child within is a secretly a little disappointed!

Here's where mine is at. I have been spending a lot of time just building up the shapes and getting the lighting right. I will (and already have) add a final layer with grime on it to add some texture, but for now I am just getting the big guy looking right. Eventually there will be warehouses and other waterside features behind the two characters.

I could do with some feedback about the graphics (autobot symbols) and the panel lines. Are they working? Also, I am a bit concerned about the number of shiny spots. What do you guys think?

Everything's on the right!!!

It's like driving abroad!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: CherryGraphics

10 Feb 2015 00:04 - 10 Feb 2015 00:05 #8861 by microscopi
Dave looking awesome so much detail! :woohoo: The bull almost looks 3D, the rider is really looking great too, I really like all the small details in the clothing, background buildings and the bull, especially all the levers and components, very imaginative and they look like they belong, looking really well done, can't wait to see it with color!

Thanks Cherry :woohoo: , it's awesome you're familiar with the story of Roland, although the ending made me want to give up reading Mr King ! :angry: I mean wtf was that really?!!! The hair on your red hed is looking great now, and I like the design and texture of the fabric, looks properly poofy, it's all in the crease lines! Looking awesome so far! I would just suggest like Valence about the right arm, the fabric would be covering her hand mostly as gravity is pulling it down, just like its doing with her other sleeve on the left. I hope you're going to add steampunk details to the parrot too! Now that would be so cute.

Thanks Schizo :woohoo: I kind of was thinking of your style a bit with the gritty crazyness in your stuff, so you're like a muse!

Valence, I saved an extra copy of that one just in case! I was almost going to throw the idea away because I thought it was too simple, but i guess i'll start detailing :woohoo: :woohoo: . I was thinking of changing the color of the train, but it does sort of match the hazy murky feel I want for the environment.

Dom Sorry don't give up on me ! :lol: I might give him some funky eyes still, ahh the pressure ! :silly:
Optimus is looking great, I like the new additions, he looks finished ! If you start with the other parts you can get
a better idea of where you want to take Optimus further or if you should add even more glare or less !

10 Feb 2015 06:46 #8863 by CherryGraphics

it's awesome you're familiar with the story of Roland, although the ending made me want to give up reading Mr King !

At first I glanced at the last page and just thought.... "wait ... This sentence I know. I KNOW. Wait." Then I turned to my bookshelf. searched for the first book of the dark tower and... you know what happened. BUt I have the hope Roland will do it better and better the longer he tries it. (I've read them all 3times until now and have the same hope every time, stupid me. xD)

Dom & Micro & Valence: thanks for the tipps again :) Yeah the fabric on her raised arm is a bit tricky for me but i hope i can fix the gravity faults as far as I can ^^ Thanks Dom for repainting some things, I'll keep them in mind. Just the final lights and shadows I add at the very end of the piece. :)

Facebook / Behance

10 Feb 2015 20:56 #8867 by Digital Dave
Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm hoping to get some more done soon. But after working through the night on snow duty, I'm a little out of whack at the moment. I've only had 4 hrs sleep in the past two days. :silly:

Liking all the images coming along too.

Cherry, I think the fabric is coming along nice, look forward to seeing how the rest comes out. One small crit, would be check the yellow stitching on the goggles band. You might try making the stitches a little smaller & adding some small shadows to help make them stand out off the band some. Also some darker shadows where the necklace is touching her skin. :)

Micro, also agree that I miss the eyes. :blink: It gave the train personality and I hope they make a return. :)

Dom, I like the lighting going on, and like how you've cropped it to a more portrait look. I think it makes it more personal too. :)

Kodabble, I hope we get to see an update soon. Like the initial sketch and have been wanting to see it come to life. :)

Also hope to see more joining in on this challenge. I know of at least one other who has mentioned sketching something out for this challenge, but she... um, I mean they, haven't posted anything up just yet. :wink:

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

11 Feb 2015 14:37 #8872 by CherryGraphics
Okay i tried to fix the little faults and nooooow... finally I added some steampunk stuff to the clothes. :D and I have so much fun :D

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: