April challenge - Banana for scale!

Deadline for entry:

March challenge Winner announced!

CGAN Feb 2015 - Letting off Steam - WIPS

02 Feb 2015 23:02 #8681 by Kodabble

Personally, I really struggle to paint anything that requires hard straight lines. I just don't know what to do! If I had a ruler I might be able to do it, but as yet I can't figure out a way to do it in PSE 9. ???!

Dom: Don't know if you have a few bucks/pounds/shekels to spend but Sketch Book Pro has a lot of the tools you are looking for, including:
ruler for straight lines
ellipse: for you guessed it ellipses at any size and angle
French curves: 3 different types that can be scaled (x and/or y) flipped and rotated:
Perspective guides: Single Point, Two Points, Three Points, and Fisheye
In addition it has symmetry (used for snowflake), Steady Stroke and line style (line, rectangle, oval, polyline)
It handles photoshop files and layers and cost me under 70 US dollars on line.
Just bought it last month and it is really fun (worked on the last challenge with it) :side:
Anyway here is a screen shot of that used some of the tools.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Feb 2015 03:17 - 03 Feb 2015 03:21 #8693 by Digital Dave

Love the idea of a steam powered bull, Dave!

Me too! Great start!!

Thanks C&D. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what all I can do with it. :)

Yours looks fine to me, Dom. Like the vivid colors. :) ... Very nice sketch, Kodabble. Look forward to seeing it progress. Definitely has the steampunk look.

Admittedly, I had to look up some images for Steampunk, just to get an idea on how to go about it, since I'm not that familiar with it. So I'm looking forward to seeing others' works for this one. ... I also tried to add a bit of a BG to mine, if anything to add some more elements, and to help tell the story. Here's where it's at now.

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D
Attachments:

03 Feb 2015 06:32 #8694 by CherryGraphics
ooooow I love all of those ideas that coming up! *__*

I'll try a first sketch today ... I'm feeling inspired a lot :woohoo:

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

03 Feb 2015 10:51 #8702 by CherryGraphics
Okay .... let me introduce:

My air pirate - steampunk - princess who's called ... .ehm... any suggestions? :?

This will be a whole mess with all of these details I have in mind .... :o

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance
Attachments:

03 Feb 2015 11:22 #8704 by Digital Dave
Nice start, Cherry. Liking the parrot sidekick, with his little mini-hat! :)

I get sketchy around pencils! ...=D

03 Feb 2015 12:38 #8709 by Gus
I like it as well ^^ Perhaps the name could be Isabella like in that song from Abney Park?

03 Feb 2015 13:05 - 03 Feb 2015 13:20 #8710 by CherryGraphics
Thanks Dave ^^ Hopefully you didn't forget the littlest little monocle :D

Aaaah a new face... :) Welcome Gus :) I don't know Abney Park - but I really like the name isabella and it suits her very well I think. Thanks a lot :silly:

Mh.... I wanted her to be a red head - but Isabellas are almost blonde in my mind. :?

EDIT: I just asked google and there is a red wine called "Isabella" .. I think she could be a red head. :silly:

Facebook / Behance

03 Feb 2015 14:13 #8716 by oaktree
Good starts so far I will try and join in

03 Feb 2015 17:11 #8728 by Charlotte
Dom, doesn't your version of photoshop have that "press ctrl" to get a straight line? I think I have PS elements 7 at work and I don't think it works on there... but otherwise that might help, and the polygonal lasso tool someone mentioned. Though I'm with you, I can't draw straight lines either and when I use any kind of tool I feel they end up too straight :silly:
Btw I really like the idea of that great big transformer trying his fishing luck!

Dave, wow there's so much detail already! You're like a steampunk expert already!

And everyone else, yes there are some great beginnings and I hope we'll see many more! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

04 Feb 2015 14:40 - 04 Feb 2015 14:45 #8752 by CherryGraphics
An "everyone else" (thank Charlotte :P ) update: first colors :D

Facebook / Behance
Attachments: