March challenge - Enter here!

Deadline for entry:

February challenge WINNER ANNOUNCED!

CGAN Dec. 2014 Challenge - Seasons Greetings - WIP

21 Dec 2014 15:37 #7815 by cgmythology
Nice updates, really dig your two recent Santa pieces. The LOTR style one is absolute genius! Nice lighting on Santa on the other piece, too, very dynamic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Dec 2014 20:35 #7818 by crankshaft

I think i'm going to go with the way the legs are positioned now, going to work up the background a bit, I really need to get his body porpotioned better, something seems off but cant place it.

To me the head of the reindeer looks to big and the legs too small. Also the "detail density" is off, the fur looks very detailed (photo texture) compared to the rest of the painting. Good progress though!

23 Dec 2014 00:48 - 23 Dec 2014 00:52 #7824 by microscopi
Thanks guys, really just progressing at a fine gentle pace here, nice to have encouragment :cheer:
Crank, just thought i'd try a forced perspective to try to make him look like he's closer to the viewer and farther away, but I now realize it probably comes out distorted looking, thanks for letting me know, trying to get a feel for the colors so pasted some photos of fur, like the light brownish hue though. I'm going to make his body more porportoned and clean it up.

23 Dec 2014 19:24 - 23 Dec 2014 19:26 #7825 by Kodabble
Cherry: Like the idea of this one, especially the look on the male faun :S getting decked out. As was pointed out the female needs hooves positioned on the ground so that she is forward of the male to match body location. Looking forward to the finished entry.
Valence: LOTR theme is very clever. Gandalf really worked as a St. Nick :lol: . Snow background is looking good especially the snow covered trees.
Microscopi: This is progressing nicely. Both Santa and Rudolf faces are really well done. Rudolf's body seems a bit long, if he is heading at the viewed, more foreshortening :? . Found a clip of reindeer races, that I grabbed a couple of captures from. Notice you don't see much of his body especially the hind quarter. Hopefully they might help, especially with the legs.
Keep going everyone :woohoo:

Attachments:

24 Dec 2014 08:48 #7830 by CherryGraphics
hey guys :) sorry for being not here the last few days.... but great updates from all of you :)
hope you'll all finish them - I finished mine as well so I just post the final one :)

Have a merry christmas everyone <3

If I had a world of my own,everything would be nonsense.Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.

Facebook / Behance

24 Dec 2014 11:24 - 24 Dec 2014 11:25 #7832 by ArtbyAlReid
Think you really nailed the Christmas card / postcard feel Valence. Really like it.

28 Dec 2014 16:17 #7868 by microscopi
Thanks for the reference pics Kod, really helped me finish my pic, rudolph was driving me insane, I think I need to focus on characters for a bit because it's pretty fun making them ! Some people say my pic makes them want to have a coke haha!
It's crazy everyone finished at Christmas, there's still time for more entires! You have a whole 3 days left!!! :woohoo:

30 Dec 2014 11:42 #7886 by Charlotte
Now you have until tomorrow! Any last minute takers? :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.

30 Dec 2014 18:00 #7898 by Kodabble

Now you have until tomorrow! Any last minute takers? :)

Not really, :silly: but:
After telling Haywire that there could never be enough mermaids on this forum, and after his and Cherry’s well done underwater fantasies, I decided to have a go at a Mermaid Christmas Fantasy. No way will I get a final posted, but here is a quick sketch (WIP) of my idea.

Saw all of the finals on the Finals Post, Will give comments at the voting :evil: . Seriously, Great job everyone :woohoo: .
Attachments:

30 Dec 2014 18:40 #7900 by Charlotte
Oh nice coral christmas tree! :)

Any an all misspellings are henceforth blamed on the cats.